PCB drilling ?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Mathematics!, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Mathematics!

Thread Starter Senior Member

Jul 21, 2008
    OK , one of my family members is insisting on a gift to get me.

I need a drill to drill my holes on my etched PCB boards.
    I am using the toner method and it is working great. But should I get a drill , or a drill press or ,...etc

I am trying to figure out what is the best thing to get to drill the tiny holes for my PCB. Obviously taking into account easy of use as well.
    I want it to be easy to use and drill the holes with as well as last long and not break drill bits all the time...

I am also wondering where I can get drill bits of that size the ones in stores I see go as far down as 1/16" which is still a little big.

Is their some type of all in one drill press that comes with the drill and small bit.

Also want to beable to easily by new drill bits locally if possible ....

Thanks for your input
    Kind of need the make and model ,...etc for the person soon though it is an xmas present thanks ?
  2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    You need carbide bits, in sizes to make holes for your leads - a micrometer is very handy for measuring lead diameters.

Carbide is brittle, so a solid drill press is necessary. Mine turns 17,000 RPM and has a table that elevates, rather than a motor and collet that descends to the work.
  3. SgtWookie

Jul 17, 2007
    As I suggested in the other thread, #66 drills are a pretty common size you'll need.

With numbered drill bits, the higher the number of the drill, the smaller the diameter.
    #66 is 0.033", or thirty-three 1/1000 of an inch.
  4. Mathematics!

Jul 21, 2008
    Do they sell these bit locally like in a home depot or something I am in the upper new england area US

Also what drill press should I tell them to get me I have no clue on what is good quality and what one works best ....

Also is the drill press just the platform or does it come with the drill installed in it...??? because I need both....

If they are going to be seperate things then what drill press what drill ???

If possible I would also want to use this drill press to drill other types of holes common to fixing houses and stuff but the main purpose and most important would be it has to work well with PCB boards .

Make and model would be great I have no clue but ofcourse I am not paying for it :)
    Also I want to be somewhat reasonable not killing the guys pocket $$$
  5. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Google can probably work for you, too.

Here's the lowest possible cost solution - http://www.instructables.com/id/$30-High-Speed-PCB-Drill-Press/
  6. HarveyH42

Jul 22, 2007
    Harbor Freight or Northern tools usually have a bench top drill press under $50. I got mine from Big Lots ($39.99 plus tax). Some people claim it doesn't spin fast enough, but works fine. Also, it's great for many other things besides PCBs. Definitely worth it.
    Here's a page for bits
    They usually run a special on box of 50, and assortments, otherwise kind of expensive. Harbor Freight just had a special on a 50 piece assortment, but I've already got a life time supply. Got them just before buying the drill press, and broke them often. Only 6 in the past 5 years, most without the drill running...
  7. dachikid

Oct 19, 2007
  8. BMorse

Sep 26, 2009
    A dremmel tool with the dremmel "drill press" attachment would work great for drilling if you are doing them by hand anyways.... and also if you do have a harbor freight in your area, check out their refurbished milling bits, you get 20 (2 packs of 10) for $4.99.... these are all different sizes and for the price they sure can't be beat, if you buy atleast 2 packs (well that would be 4 - 10 packs = 40 bits), you will have enough assorted bits to accommodate any size hole for any component.... and they are useful for making cutouts in PCB's also, since they are milling bits..... I use these in my home made CNC Mill/Drill, and also for hand drilling PCB holes...
  9. Mathematics!

Jul 21, 2008
    Ok , I am thinking about going with this
    But Their doesn't have a price on that page for it or the bits???

Also I am curious has anybody used it for PCB drilling how good would it be seems like it would drill perfectly that is what the demo claims?

Also how much are those drill bit on that page?
    And are these the typical size to use for RF circuit PCB designing?

Curious what the smallest drill bit made are , are they 1/32" or do they make smaller. And I am assuming these drill bits work with that particular drill press?
    Curious to know how I can hold the copper board from slipping on the platform?

Hopefully this will drill holes easily and not mess up my design or slip................. :)
    This is it if nobody disagrees