PCB design software

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Hows the autorouter in Kicad? anyone know?
There's an online autorouter that works with Kicad.

It's slow, but everyone needs time to sleep so start it as you go to bed and it's there in the morning.

I only used it once,very squished board with 500-1000 nets. Most nets were routed before it (or I) gave up and did the rest manually.

John P

Joined Oct 14, 2008
FreePCB and Kicad both use the Freeroute autorouter via a Java interface. It is indeed very slow, but I've found it gives pretty good results. You can make improvements here and there, but doing that knowing that there's already a completed layout is a whole lot more comforting than starting with no traces placed!

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I used KiCad for some time, then I came across Eagle, and got stuck. Meaning I use Ealge. Lots of components/libraries, but I guess taht goes for KiCad too. :)
I tend to make my own libraries. Even in schematic capture the resistors and capacitor symbols I use are my own creations (stock items are way too large). Any IC even from a library will get edited so it sits best within the layout. Connectors too. Plus I like the spacing I like, not what is used in the library.

I often drop the reference designations for footprints, but I come from the hybrid world that never has those and it all works. My boards tend to be as tight as possible, so there is just no room for large silk screen symbols.

swr999

Joined Mar 30, 2011
... I guess they're all similar though and if you learn one you can easily learn all the others? ...
I think I would turn that around and say that while all PCB programs are similar in concept, they are all implemented in their own idiosyncratic ways. The result is that learning to effectively use one program does not put you very far up the learning curve of any other PCB program. At least that's been my experience.

I'm not an Eagle fan but there is a lot available in the way of online tutorials for it.

MaxBlack

Joined Oct 29, 2015
I 'd like to recommend a new free online electronic circuit design tool.EasyEDA is a free web based PCB tool for anyone involved in electronics design and able to share the work with others.I am a student,and I was encouraged by my classmate to use EasyEDA.

It's easy for beginners to use,There are lots of examples on the site and a useful tutorial.https://easyeda.com/Doc/Tutorial/,which will help you to design quickly.

it can even be used without registering with files being saved in an Anonymous mode that works a bit like pastebin where files can be retrieved and shared just by their urls.

It offers schematic capture, spice simulation and PCB design - including Gerber download - for free.