PCB design software

Johndon2000

Joined Jun 12, 2013
What are the best (free) PCB design packages for beginners (or someone who hasn't used PCB software for 10+ years!)?

Also, what are the most common PCB design packages used in industry (and in particular in the UK)? Which free versions are most similar to those used in the workplace?

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
IMO for "freeware"
most common = Eagle
Best = Diptrace
Most used in "industry" = not freeware.. PADS/ALTIUM,etc...

But I use Diptrace professionally and LOVE it.

I tried Eagle before deciding on Diptrace and HATED eagle.. Its not nearly as "easy" to use IMO and tons of other reasons why I hate it.

I will always recommend Diptrace as #1

Johndon2000

Joined Jun 12, 2013
Thanks for that... I guess they're all similar though and if you learn one you can easily learn all the others?

I may start on IMO and Eagle then, and Diptrace once I know what I'm doing!... thanks :)

John P

Joined Oct 14, 2008
As always in these threads (and we get one every few weeks) I recommend FreePCB.

People also say KiCAD is good, but I haven't used it myself. How any of these relate to what's used professionally, I don't know. What I do strongly believe is that Eagle gets far more use than it deserves!

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
I recently did a cut-and-dry switch to KiCAD from EAGLE, and haven't looked back.

I tried KiCAD a while back, but found it way too confusing, perhaps it was the experience from EAGLE that made me prefer it now, but tutorials for any software is available, so none should be too hard...

Johndon2000

Joined Jun 12, 2013
Thanks guys, a good list of free versions there to try out :) ... is there a list of most common/ best packages used professionally (not free)?

Johndon2000

Joined Jun 12, 2013
IMO for "freeware"
most common = Eagle
Best = Diptrace
Most used in "industry" = not freeware.. PADS/ALTIUM,etc...

But I use Diptrace professionally and LOVE it.

I tried Eagle before deciding on Diptrace and HATED eagle.. Its not nearly as "easy" to use IMO and tons of other reasons why I hate it.

I will always recommend Diptrace as #1
Hi, I can find all of these on google except the IMO one... is it a typo?!

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Most of the pro electronic CAD systems. Offer trail versions. A full version that works in 30 or 60 days. Perhaps not much help in that, just saying it ;)

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
i use kicad for few years now (after giving up on Eagle).

built in router was too limited and for a while now it has been depreciated. for example it would ignore net classes and regardless of settings, keep on routing using default class. it was not particularly smart router either but it would finish the board after key things are done by hand. today autorouting in KiCad is done using freeroute which requires java and internet access, export and import of board in Spectra format which is easy enough (menu or tool bar icon). freeroute is much smarter and it is very capable. that is not to say that built in router will never be improved but this requires lots of work and focus was to improve many other areas. manual routing in KiCad is very nice. unless I have really massive board, i usually route the entire job manually.