PCB design rule for new newbie

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by bug13, Nov 23, 2012.

1. bug13

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Hi guys

I am recently teaching myself PCB design (and PIC), I was wondering if it is all right to ask you guys to have a look at my PCB board (or maybe my circuit as well).

I have been working on it for a few weeks on and off, and I think I have fix anything that I am aware off.

But I believe there must be still many errors, if anyone keen, I will post the files here, and more details.

It's a lab power supply with for myself to use.

2. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    Post the schematic, as well as layers of the board (with labels/screen) as images. Also attach the .sch or .brd file depending on the software you use, not everybody has all the different layout tools to look at the raw file.

3. bug13

Feb 13, 2012
    Schematic is based on someone else's design, and I just modified it to my need. The PCB is designed all by me.

the two PDF file is the schematic and board layout, the zip file is the raw file in Eagle format.

the bottom layer is flood with GND and the top layer is flood with +5V, I am not sure that is the right choice.

The top part of the board is the analog part, the lower part is the digital part of the circuit.

Any advices/suggestions are welcome. (eg. naming style, errors, routing techniques...)

Thanks a lot.

PS: all layers added

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  4. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    bug13 likes this.
  5. nigelwright7557

May 10, 2008
    A decent CAD package will have lots of design rule checking.
    Single ended nets check.
    Unconnected pin check.
    Creepage errors.

6. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    I don't have software installed to do ERC/drill rules check on it, so haven't gone over it.

One quick suggestion I saw, due to the nature of the project, would be replacing the 7805 +5V regulator with a drop-in switching +5v regulator substitute. This would provide both more current as well as less heat inside the enclosure. You'd want to increase the width of the tracks to the output by a tad.

The silkscreen overlaps on the lower left, making it unreadable in production.

bug13 likes this.
  7. nerdegutta

Dec 15, 2009
    Hi.

These errors occurred while performing the ERC on the schematic. Did you make this in Eagle 6.3? I haven't upgraded yet, so this errors are from my Eagle 6.2, but I don't think there would be any difference in part values and unconnected pins.

[​IMG]

8. bug13

Feb 13, 2012
    Hi nerdegutta,

those pins are not suppose to be connected, sorry that I haven't approved them.

on the other hand, I am more interesting in the opinion of the layout of the board, like components placement etc...