PCB design help

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by SVS, Jul 24, 2014.

1. SVS

Thread Starter Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Hi Everyone,

How to determine the number of layers required my PCb design?

I have 300V DC , 5V , 12V , Signal GND and COM.

Layer 1: 300V
    Layer 2 :12 and 5V
    Layer 3: Com
    layer 4: Signal GND.

or just go for a 2 sided PCB with 300 V , 12 V and 5V on the top layer ,Signal GND and COM on the bottom layer?

Note: Working frequency: 20-100KHz.

Any specific guideline??

Thank you and waiting forward for your replies :)

2. shell.albert

Jul 23, 2014
    Your working frequency is not high,very low.2 layers is enough for saving money.
    spit your low voltage parts far away from high voltage parts to avoid EMC/EMI problems.
    your pcb size determines your pcb layers also.
    If the pcb size is large enough to layout,why not you add multiple layers? only 2 layers with much pcb size is enough for you.

3. SVS

Thread Starter Member

Aug 16, 2012
    I think bigger size or multi layer would end up with the same cost..

The main concern is EMC .... And i have a big inductive load which is connected to the PCB and I am afraid of inductive ringing and Voltage transients.
    So, the best solution is to build a compact PCB with a minimum stray parameter.

What is your views on that ??

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  4. AnalogKid

Distinguished Member

Aug 1, 2013
    You really have not given enough information for a reasoned response. 100KHz could be a millivolt level signal from a jet engine vibration sensor, or a 1000 watt power supply. What is the application, what is the circuit, what is the operating environment? Will this be for high volume production or just some prototypes? Are you worried more about radiating noise outward or susceptibility to external noise contaminating your signals?

ak

SVS likes this.
  5. SVS

Thread Starter Member

Aug 16, 2012
    This^^^

The circuit is ZVS PWM full bridge converter..
    The working voltage level is around 300V DC and a current rating upto 3.5A.
    Approxiamtely 1000W.
    The application of the circuit(PCB) is to drive a tesla coil(Ferrite core transformer ) which generates approximately 20 KV (peak) on the secondary side .
    These are just prototypes for test and meaurement.

The main concern is contamination of my signals and voltage transients .

6. kubeek

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 20, 2005
    It would be much better if you posted the schematic. Then we can see what partitions the circuit has and how it would be best done. But most likely 2 layers will do just fine.