PCB design for op amp

drkblog

Joined Oct 4, 2012
I'm trying to design a PCB for a couple of op amp working both as amplifiers and filters. Working with signals from DC to 3kHz. Questions are:

1. Is there a recommendation for the vias (like size, maximum length)?
  2. Should I place the common GND copper area around the board?
I have been trying with Ultiboard and came up with something like this:

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
The board design depends on the voltage level of the signal, but for 3khz bandwidth it doesn´t matter how long the traces are etc.

I use vias with 1mm holes.

Be very careful with audio to keep the power supply and audio ground in a star configuration. Failure to do so will see power supply hum on the audio.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
In general, keep the trace lengths to the op amp summing (-) junction as short as possible and keep high level input or output signals far away. Short traces are more important the neatness. The summing junction is very sensitive to stray signal/noise pickup and parasitic capacitance.

drkblog

Joined Oct 4, 2012
Be very careful with audio to keep the power supply and audio ground in a star configuration.
What is a star configuration?

About the length of traces: I grouped the components of each op amp near the pins of the IC and then let the program autoroute. I have three ICs (using 5 op amp) a couple of 5x2 connectors within a PCB of 112mm x 90mm (4 2/5 x 3 1/2 inches).

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008

About the length of traces: I grouped the components of each op amp near the pins of the IC and then let the program autoroute. I have three ICs (using 5 op amp) a couple of 5x2 connectors within a PCB of 112mm x 90mm (4 2/5 x 3 1/2 inches).
That's ok if you group the components that go to the summing junction as close to that summing pin as possible.