PCB Design for LED Display

Stuntman

Joined Mar 28, 2011
There is plethora of options. Not knowing your level of familiarity or your end intentions, I can just throw a couple out.

A.) If you don't HAVE to have gerbers, ExpressPCB offers a very intuitive piece of (free)software that can get you up and running in no time. The catch is, it will not generate gerbers, you have to order your boards through them. (which I have found to be very economical BTW)

B.) If you need gerbers (and don't want to spend $$), you will be at the mercy of open source or trial software. Eagle comes to mind as a good choice, but there are many.

C.) If you are willing to pay, then there are deeper conversations to be had.

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
I made the 25 LED open end flasher in Eagle. The LEDs could not fit on a standard Eagle board, so I made several, and linked them together.

I used Bill_Marsdens desgin, but now I cannot seem to find it.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
I allows you to pick footprints and then connect them together. There is a cumbersome procedure by which it can be made to accept a net list from a SPICE program (I think LT SPICE) but I have not tried it. \

RRITESH KAKKAR

Joined Jun 29, 2010
I made the 25 LED open end flasher in Eagle. The LEDs could not fit on a standard Eagle board, so I made several, and linked them together
Hello,
i think this idea is fine but what is maximum length it can develop PCB?

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
From the FreePCB website:

• 1 to 16 copper layers
  • Board size up to 60 inches by 60 inches
  • Uses English or metric units (i.e. mils or mm) for most functions.
  • Footprint libraries courtesy of Ivex Design International, PCB Matrix and the IPC.
  • Copper fill areas
  • Footprint Wizard and Footprint Editor for creating or modifying footprints
  • Imports and exports PADS-PCB netlists
  • Exports extended Gerber files (RS274X) and Excellon drill files
  • Design rule checker
  • Autosave