pcb coil design

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by shree91.pradhan@gmail.com, Feb 2, 2013.

1. shree91.pradhan@gmail.com

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 2, 2013
    Hi,
    how can i design a pcb coil of 10 ohm impedance....please help me, & how to calculate the inductance of the designed PCB coil

2. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    At what frequency?

What does the Q need to be (Impedance vs. DC resistance)?

3. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    Here's a calculator for the inductance of PCB spiral coils. Connection to the center of the spiral is made with a via.

4. shree91.pradhan@gmail.com

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 2, 2013
    How to design a multilayer PCB rectangular coil with the given impedance of 10 ohm?how to implement the vias for one layer to other layer connection?In google I have only got regarding square, octagonal, hexagonal n circular, So please help me regarding this

5. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    It would be difficult to design a multilayer inductor without simulation software designed for that purpose. Why does it need to be multilayer?

To simplify the calculations you could put a ground plane between each layer with the inductor. That would minimize interaction between the coils and you could calculate each coil as a signal layer and then connect them in series to get the total inductance. For that, the square inductor calculation should give close to the correct value for a rectangular coil if the ratio of the two sides is not large.

Don't understand your questions about vias. Vias are implemented in the board by the PCB layout software and fabricated as plated through holes along with the rest of the PCB.

6. kubeek

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 20, 2005
    you should be able to easily find an online calculator for a rectangular spiral inductor. Anyway impedance of 10 ohm is meaningless until you say at what particulart frequency that impedance should be. It is much easier to specify the inductance.