PCB Burning from Hot resistors

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by RodneyB, Dec 12, 2014.

1. RodneyB

Thread Starter Active Member

Apr 28, 2012
    I have attached a picture of a PCB that I have which is burning from the heat generated by the resistors. Is there any way of protecting the PCB from burning.

I was thinking about putting aluminium foil under the resistors but needed conformation and then that also comes with a set of its own problems.

2. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    RodneyB likes this.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    You can also buy resistors that don't run so hot per watt, or just buy over rated resistors like 5W rated in a 3W position. I recognize that particular shape as a resistor that can survive higher temperatures...but the circuit board can't!

RodneyB likes this.
  4. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Yes. There are several ways to get bulkier resistors, some round, some square. What I wanted to emphasize is the ends being larger than the resistor body and that light grey background color indicating the, "run hot" resistors.

6. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    Resistors should always be sized at 2 to 3 times the required wattage and then keep them off the board by 1/8" or more.
    That should be more than sufficient.

RodneyB likes this.
  7. alfacliff

Dec 13, 2013
    if thbere are no pc runs under the resistors, drill some holes in the fiberglass for ventilation. also, if you have replacement resistors, mount them on longer leads to space them above the board.

8. sheldons

Oct 26, 2011
    All good advice but as the circuit is just powering leds there should never be that much heat generated resistor wise to burn the board in that way if the resistor value/wattage has been properly worked out with reference to the supply voltage available. ....are these ran direct from mains ? What is the mystery supply voltage used ??? You could fit slightly higher wattage resistors and space them away from the board a little.....

9. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    If you look carefully at the picture the annular rings for the resistors also show discoloration. This is due to the leads themselves conducting heat out of the resistor into the board. Spacing the body of the part will only help a little with that issue.

The pads should be greatly increased in size to large copper masses to aid in heat dissipation. These pads should be of the "thermal via" type that isolated the pad a bit from the mass so you can still solder to it.

10. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    I think the issues are very obvious:
    1. PCB is charred
    2. Resistors not rated for proper power dissipation
    3. Solder joints will deteriorate
    You are powering the LEDs from AC mains, correct?

That is a violation of the Terms of Service (TOS) of All About Circuits and further discussion along those lines will result in this thread being closed.

11. BobTPH

Jun 5, 2013
    I doubt that it is powered from mains as the resistors appear to be 100 Ohms.

Bob

12. sheldons

Oct 26, 2011
    There's diodes there too(1N4007 ?)......still shouldn't be running hot as they are only driving leds....so....what is the supply voltage used???...