PCB Build, Purchase

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by ElectronicMender, Feb 14, 2013.

1. ElectronicMender

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 13, 2013
    Hi,

I have made a primitive (small) circuit on my breadboard that I would like to use and offer to my HOA.

The circuit is a modification to an PIR that instead of tripping it's internal siren (not loud enough to wake me), it will trigger an external 12v siren I have purchased.

My question is:
    Anyone have an opinion on whether I should order from one of my magazine ad's, or use a local supplier?
    I'm favoring a local supplier.

I have never ordered one and hope someone has some personal experience that would help me before placing an order.

Thanks for any help or guidance.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2013
  2. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    I think you would facilitate responses if you stated in which part of the US you are situated.

3. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
  4. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    I, too, use a Chinese source, but bear in mind that the Chinese New Year celebration is going on until February 24, and most factories are closed during that period.

ETA: The Chinese new year holiday actually ended on February 16...my mistake.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  5. John P

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 14, 2008
    I've also had good experiences ordering PCB's from China, but if you only want one sample of one board and it isn't very complicated, you could hand-wire it on perf board and save some money.

Unless you have a real yen to see it on a PCB.

6. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    The Chinese don't take yen. :D

7. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    what? I've been lead to believe that they operate 25/366.

8. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    I posted the wrong dates; I was still living in 2012.

Here's the notice from the guys I order from, so their holiday is over.

NOTICE:If you want to get shipping before the Chinese New Year, please place orders by Monday 11am ET - January 28, 2013. The PCB factory will close from February 5th to 16th for the holidays, so no PCB orders will be produced during that time period. Please accept our sincere apology if any delays occurred.

9. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    I wonder if the original post with the "commercial link" made any sense.

In it's present form I have no idea what the "one" being ordered is.

Should it deal with PCB's, I use several sources depending on the circumstance, from a full featured ISO shop in the USA to bare bones (but good quality) Chinese houses.

How many, how large, how fast do you need boards?

10. ElectronicMender

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 13, 2013
    Thanks for the help and replies everyone...
    Figures wife would go in for surgery right after I ask a question.

It's a very small board, only need 25-50, doubt I would ever need more.

I was just concerned about the China part, but I have ordered batteries and lots of small items etc, takes a long time to get the items, but the price is right thats for sure.

I live just north of Charlotte, NC and the business I mentioned is located in Charlotte, guess the odds of finding someone who would have used a local business is slim.

Since it would be "neighbors" that would be using boards I just wanted to be cautious about what I recommend to them...

Again, thank you all very much for the info and help.