PCB and potentiometer question

droggie

Joined Oct 21, 2012
I have a question regarding the placement of the potentiometer pictured below. There are three solder points for each placement (RV1 and RV2), however I see an extra one in the middle. Is this one supposed to be a stand alone solder point or am I missing something?

Also I am not sure if it is even a potentiometer. If it is, am I supposed to connect something external to it so I can physically control the current?

Attachments

tubeguy

Joined Nov 3, 2012
Looking at the traces, you'll notice that 'extra' hole is connected to the hole where the pot fits. I'm thinking they made the pcb to accept either horizontal pots or vertical pots for options in parts procurement.

Edit: I don't type fast enough

droggie

Joined Oct 21, 2012
I'm confused, because I did not get anything else with the kit for the pots; just the LEDs, resistors, caps, transistors and battery clips.

tubeguy

Joined Nov 3, 2012
I recently got a Velleman Kit. It came with a parts list, schematic and parts stuffing diagram. That should tell you if you where supposed to get trim pots.

You have a pot pictured...

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
RV1 and RV2 are used to slow down oscillations. if you don't have them you can remove them. astable multivibrator will still work with just R3 and R4 (but it may be a bit fast, aprox 7Hz or 7 flashes per second for each LED)

vk6zgo

Joined Jul 21, 2012
Just solder the pots in where you have them sitting in the PCB in your original pictures.
They are meant to be adjusted with a screwdriver,so you don't need any knobs.