pc wont go to Desktop at first turn on

Discussion in 'Computing and Networks' started by frank55, Oct 28, 2014.

1. frank55

Thread Starter Member

Dec 6, 2013
    Hi guys;i have an old P4 with Xubuntu 14.04 installed and lately it wont go to Desktop it stays on a black screen at first turn on, i have to turn off power then turn on power a second time then it boots to Desktop,beside that it runs fine,Any help will be apreciated

2. joeyd999

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 6, 2011
    There was a bug that would prevent booting properly if a usb mouse (or other device?) was connected on some hardware. Disconnect all your USB peripherals and try again. If the problem goes away, do a apt-get update/apt-get dist-upgrade to fix it.

Edit: Regardless, when you do get it to boot, do a dist-upgrade immediately. This may fix the problem if it was reported.

atferrari likes this.
  3. adam555

Aug 17, 2013
    This happens some times when the battery that stores the bios is gone.

Edit: actually, my bedroom computer (an old Win XP) began to do it a couple of months ago and didn't have the time to buy a new one.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  4. frank55

Thread Starter Member

Dec 6, 2013

5. adam555

Aug 17, 2013
    Just took mine off, now that you reminded me, and it's definitely low; but still has some juice to turn on the computer when I switch it on twice like you.

6. frank55

Thread Starter Member

Dec 6, 2013
    Thanks joeyd999; i think your right, i had this USB extender cable since the USB ports on the back and one on the front are not easy access so i took off and turned pc off and on a few times and it boots ok,thanks for the tip.

7. atferrari

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    Last night I dared to disassemble a Compaq mini CQ10 and change the (gone) battery. No more staying there "thinking". Now it boots OK.

8. adam555

Aug 17, 2013
    Some of the older ones came with rechargeable batteries instead of button cells, and these rarely needed to be replaced. The other day I completely dismantled my very first PC -a 25 year old Commodore PC10- and the rechargeable battery was still good enough to be reused.

9. frank55

Thread Starter Member

Dec 6, 2013
    Thanks everybody for pointing out good tips solutions for these troubles,very good forum this is ,thanks.