PC Gaming thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by maxpower097, May 29, 2012.

1. maxpower097

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    So I got my laptop and was messing around with it last night. Decided to benchmark it with Battlefield 3 and OMG it runs amazingly. So now I can run current games. As far as Racing and FPS I got those covered. I'm already an old salt at iracing, COD, and BF. But I'm looking for some stagity game like Age of Empires if you remember that, or Age of Sail. Simulators are always fun. I know a lot of guys play civilization but I never got into that. Any ideas of stuff I should look into? I've really never had a top tier PC to game with so this is kinda new. I usually upgrade every 5 years to last years model. So as long as it ran my 2 games I play off and on I don't care. Now I have a huge world opened up to me. What are some good games?

2. Sparky49

Jul 16, 2011
    Give portal 1 and 2 a try. If you download Steam, they often have rediculously good deals, like 60% off for a week.

I'm sure you can find reviews about it online, but the story is set in a test facility, where an evil AI named GLaDOS murdered everyone - bar test subjects. You are tested in different chambers with a portal gun - when shot against walls, it creates a portal linking the two locations. Using a combination of momentum, thinking and acceleration you've got to complete all the test Chambers....

Check out the trailer for Portal 2:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4siZQkSR7GY&feature=relmfu

As for sims...

IL2 Sturmovik is a great ww2 flight sim.

For something a bit more modern, check out DCS-A10!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weGCjOng1sg&feature=related

maxpower097 likes this.
  3. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Sorry, still stuck on Red Alert. The last episode by EA was a joke, and a sad end to a really good run. This also included the Dune series, such as Emperor.

Sparky49 likes this.
  4. Sparky49

Jul 16, 2011
    At least you haven't been fooled by ME3...

And what has happened to Medal of Honor? It been a mix of Battlefield, Battlefield BAd Company, COD... Just rubbish.

I remember Frontline... Best game ever IMO. What other game has a German General run at you in the street with pants with hearts on?

Last edited: May 29, 2012
    maxpower097 likes this.
  5. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    EA seems to be where all good games go to die. Accountants are the death of creativity, and EA strikes me as almost a hoarder, buying good games so they can own the rights but not willing to invest in them. They then make a really cheap knockoff that missed the whole point of what was fun about the game, driving a stake through its heart.

I really like the C&C series too, the last one was just lame.

6. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    I haven't played or had much interest in playing games in a long time. The last game I really got hooked on was Morrowind Elder Scrolls. I was completely addicted. If I were to play a game , it would probably be Skyrim. looked cool.

maxpower097 and Sparky49 like this.
  7. Sparky49

Jul 16, 2011
    Play it!!!!!

8. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    You know "I wish you were old enough to remember operation flashpoint. Game of the year in 2001. Like BF3 but maps were litearally 15 miles x 15 miles in game. IF you got shot down or bailed, you'd have to sneak into an enemy town and steal a car or something. It was actually like real war on a huge scale. They tried to rebuild it with ARMA but it just wasn't the same.

9. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    Yah thats because they take the Madden money and buy the rights to everything then kill it. They release buggy games and don't update them to fix em at all. I'd also love a RTS space game too. I remember Star wars was coming out with something.