PC Board Layout

George Langley

Joined Mar 7, 2011
Hi all. Have a few schematics to layout to a PC Board. Have purchased the 276-150 board from The Source (Radio Shack north of the 49th!):

and would like to know if my assumptions are correct on how to organize the components on it.
The 2 long strips in the middle would be for the power: negative on one strip and positive on the other. Any components that need direct connections to the power would start there. (I have 8 OPB704 IR sensors, so will need 8 - and 16 + connections for those alone!)
The dual-hole pads on the edges should be used for components that need input or provide output: the component connects to the inside hole and a wire to the external device is soldered to the outside hole.
The triple pads can send one component's output to 2 other components' inputs.
So, what's confusing me are the single-hole pads - what is their purpose?. If, for instance, I insert a resistor's lead into the hole, how does that then connect to another component? Do I connect a wire between the leads before soldering? Do I use a silver trace pen to draw my own connections between holes (which I assume I would do before soldering)? Or do they have a specific purpose to remain single?
Any tips greatly appreciated!

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Sounds like you have the basics down. Truth, there is no "right" way. Speaking for myself, I like to draw what I'm going to do before I do it. If you look on my PaintCAD templates you will find the Radio Shack board in the middle of other layouts.

How do I draw it? Let me point you to a few projects...

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showpost.php?p=76284&postcount=14

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showpost.php?p=133252&postcount=41

Project: High Power LED Flasher

I also do it for protoboards, as part of my articles.

The 555 Projects

Bill's Index

Introduction and PaintCAD

You can download my PaintCAD templates on the last link.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Hi all. Have a few schematics to layout to a PC Board. Have purchased the 276-150 board from The Source (Radio Shack north of the 49th!):

and would like to know if my assumptions are correct on how to organize the components on <snip>
So, what's confusing me are the single-hole pads - what is their purpose?. If, for instance, I insert a resistor's lead into the hole, how does that then connect to another component? Do I connect a wire between the leads before soldering?
I'm no expert, but the way I do it is - Say you need a resistor and capacitor connected together, you put the resistor lead in one hole and the capacitor lead in an adjacent hole . The you bend the leads over until they touch each other (at board level) then solder the two together. The copper around the hole will help to anchor the components to the board and the solder will bridge both leads connecting them together.

This is the style of proto board I like. I found some bigger ones on Ebay a while back, you might look there if you need bigger ones. Think they were listed under 'proto boards'.

George Langley

Joined Mar 7, 2011
Thanks guys, much appreciated. Had drawn up a printable template of the board and had started plotting my first schematic out, so good to see that I was on the right trail! Am looking at your examples of schematic to layout to learn from.