PBS / NOVA

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by PackratKing, May 21, 2015.

1. PackratKing

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2008
    I am certain this will play again...

Last nights' NOVA program, on Public Broadcasting titled " Rise of the Hacker " is one dynamic piece of information, well worth watching...

killivolt likes this.
  2. killivolt

Jan 10, 2010
    Ya, seen that one; it was a repeat but very informative.

kv

3. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
  4. nsaspook

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 27, 2009
    Last edited: May 21, 2015
  5. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
    I wonder if the "crackers" moniker was used in Bletchley Park.

It's been a number of years since I read the Spy -vs- Spy cartoons.

I tend to believe the media, including PBS, is only reporting what they are made privy. I also tend to believe the next level stuff is never in their vocabulary.

One thing is to plant the seed and let them blow it out of proportion, and neither confirm or deny what they got wrong.

6. nsaspook

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 27, 2009
    Don't know about Bletchley Park but the the people we talked to at CGHQ Cheltenham in the 70's called themselves 'CENSORED'.;)

The people in the US Navy worked in the 'Ship's Signals Exploitation Space', you can guess what SSES workers were called.

Last edited: May 21, 2015
  7. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
    I don't recall CGHQ being in Cheltenham, I only recall them being across from Fort McNair on 2nd street. As often as they move between departments (treasury, transportations, and now homeland security) I wouldn't doubt it for a moment they were there. The few times I've visited them was in the 80s and 90s. My time in the 70s was spent on the last island in the Aleutians, Brooklyn NY, and Italy.

And recently the CGHQ moved to a portion of the psychiatric hospital St Elizabeth's in Anacostia. It could be a fitting move. :D

8. nsaspook

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 27, 2009
  9. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
    Thanks...

10. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    With the mention of Bletchley Park I just watched the Imitation Game about Turing who cracked the German Enigma machine there.
    I lived not far away from there, during the war MI5 also had a unit ensconced in Blenheim Palace Woodstock, Churchills birthplace.
    Max.

11. nsaspook

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 27, 2009
    Easy to get them mixed up. I'm sure you know what a 'detailer' is so after about two years of school when I first enlisted he offered me a few jobs.
    #1 whca
    #2 GCHQ
    #3 Key West

No brainer...
    When I left Key West to sea duty the same guy offered
    #1 Deep Freeze with one year in NZ and one winter over
    #2 Any ship with my NEC on the West Coast

Don't ask me what happens down there but watching the movie 'The Thing' gives you an idea about what the station was like back then(late 70's). It sucked but counted as full 2X sea duty. I took the ship. :eek:

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  12. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
    You probably would have gotten your number 1 pick out of deep freeze.

I know the 1 year isolated typically got us 30 days "compensatory leave" in addition to our regular leave. In the 80s they added the number 1 pick out of isolated as an incentive.

Of course, near the mid tour, you got to take 21 days leave. Didn't leave much time to go anywhere unless you flew commercial. My first time on Attu Island, I spend my mid tour in Anchorage and a couple of days in Fairbanks enroute to Shemya and then back to Attu. It was a good time in Anchorage. I spend probably a week flying MAC during those 21 days, even using the "environmental leave" tagline.

Yeah, I know about detailers. I asked for any 210 foot cutter and they sent me to Loran Station Simeri Crichi Italy (77-79). I don't think I submitted another dream sheet without consulting them first on what was open.

13. nsaspook

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 27, 2009
    I could have had the White House job if I really wanted to. It was office cilivian attire stuff and dress military in public with the football command communications chain but drinking at a Tiki bar with a "Zombie" in my hand while hacking Cuba looked much better at the time.

At Key West both the CO and a buddy at the station had done 'deep freeze'. The CO talked about how I put anything on my dream sheet and get it after the tour but the buddy told be about what really happens down there while running the communications for the science. :eek:

[​IMG]
    Playgirl of the month
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  14. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
    Let's just say "ressusci Annie" is never left on isolated stations ... or "Deep Freeze."

15. nsaspook

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 27, 2009
    Annie...Annie.. Are You OK?

16. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
    LOL

Of course there's Suzie the blowup doll with ... well, you got a good imagination. LOL

I'm stopping now ... before we drag this thread to the depths unbeknownst to mankind.

17. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    And make me go mod over ya'll. I don't like it when I have to go mod.

nsaspook likes this.