PB-Ball - Computer basketball game

tjohnson

Joined Dec 23, 2014
I rewrote a computer basketball game that I had written several years ago when I started learning Python, and am planning to release it publicly.

I just finished adding several features that I wanted, and thought I'd give members of this forum an opportunity to try out a pre-release (alpha) version of it. You can download a ZIP file containing the Windows version from Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByJL8PYA4TMPbkRabkVzM3BDVDA/view?usp=sharing

I haven't tested it on Linux yet, but it should run on Linux or Mac if you extract the contents of the ZIP file, replace the EXE file with the .py file (also on Google Drive), and have the pygame module installed.

Any feedback, either positive or negative, would be appreciated. Please report any bugs (I'm sure there are some), and share any suggestions for new features that you may have. I hope you enjoy playing it!

EDIT: I'm also looking for suggestions for a better name for the game. Right now I'm calling it pyBasketball because it's a computer basketball game written using the Python programming language, but I think it needs a name that sounds more exciting.

Last edited:

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I rewrote a computer basketball game that I had written several years ago when I started learning Python, and am planning to release it publicly.

I just finished adding several features that I wanted, and thought I'd give members of this forum an opportunity to try out a pre-release (alpha) version of it. You can download a ZIP file containing the Windows version from Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByJL8PYA4TMPbkRabkVzM3BDVDA/view?usp=sharing

I haven't tested it on Linux yet, but it should run on Linux or Mac if you extract the contents of the ZIP file, replace the EXE file with the .py file (also on Google Drive), and have the pygame module installed.

Any feedback, either positive or negative, would be appreciated. Please report any bugs (I'm sure there are some), and share any suggestions for new features that you may have. I hope you enjoy playing it!

EDIT: I'm also looking for suggestions for a better name for the game. Right now I'm calling it pyBasketball because it's a computer basketball game written using the Python programming language, but I think it needs a name that sounds more exciting.
Adding any of the following words tend to make marketing people feel like the game is made better...
Turbo
Super
Ultra
Special
Fabulous
Extra

Or use slang, like...
Baller
Hoops
Bball

I am sure other users have more suggestions.

Also, who would download this stuff on purpose? I try hard enough to keep crap programs off of my computer.

tjohnson

Joined Dec 23, 2014
Adding any of the following words tend to make marketing people feel like the game is made better...
Turbo
Super
Ultra
Special
Fabulous
Extra

Or use slang, like...
Baller
Hoops
Bball

I am sure other users have more suggestions.

Also, who would download this stuff on purpose? I try hard enough to keep crap programs off of my computer.
Thanks for the name suggestions. The program is completely portable (and there's no installer to run), so if you've downloaded it and don't want it anymore, you can just delete the folder and there shouldn't be any traces of it left on your hard drive.

EDIT: I thought the name SuperHoops sounded nice, but I checked and there's already an iPhone app with that name. It's hard to find a good name that's not already in use. I checked, and SuperHoops is not a registered trademark, so I guess I can use it as a name.

Last edited: