Password Security

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
We used a scheme for system access that one could only access the system from THEIR laptop (something they have) and with THEIR password (something they know. And it was different than their laptop password).

davebee

Joined Oct 22, 2008
"I start with a sentence I can easily remember..."

My problem with this method is that I have probably as many as 3 dozen accounts requiring passwords, and I acquire new such accounts at a rate of maybe about once a month.

If I follow the guidelines of using a separate password for each account, and if I regularly change passwords, then how am I, as an average person with only an average memory, going to "easily remember" hundreds of sentences, as well as which of those hundreds of sentences I used for any given account?

Even if I were to rotate passwords among my existing accounts, there's no practical way I'll be able to remember which of my 3 dozen "easily remembered" phrases is currently in use for any given account. Some accounts will lock me out if I make 5 or so failed access attempts, also.

The best solution I've found so far is to write my passwords down in a computer file and encrypt that file with one password, and for that, I do use an easily remembered password.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello davebee,

For keeping the passwords, there is a little program keepass:
http://keepass.info/
You will need a "master password" to enter the program and it can fill-in the username and passwords in the site.

Bertus