Password protection of files

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
7-zip works fine on Win 10, if you specify .zip as the archive format. Once you do this for one archive, it becomes the default and Win 10 can open up archives made subsequently without having to change the archive format.

To summarize:
  • 7-zip on source machine
  • Create archive in .zip format
  • Transfer to another machine, including Windows 10 - without 7-zip
  • Archive and files open okey dokey

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
.... except it's not okey dokey for me. Win10's File Explorer sees the file enclosed in the protected folder but can't open the file.

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
.... except it's not okey dokey for me. Win10's File Explorer sees the file enclosed in the protected folder but can't open the file.
Hi Alex_t

Not sure what you mean? How can windows "see" it if its in a protected folder?

What version of windows 10 are you using? x64? x32? Pro? Home?
Which version did you download? I'm using the Beta version.
I use this on a few different Win 7/8.1/10 and no issues..

Are you sure your extracting the file(s) to writeable area of the file system?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I haven't played with this, but I've read a number of sites on it yesterday and this is my understanding:

The directory contents of the zip file is not encrypted in the ZIP encryption scheme, so any utility that can read ZIP files can tell you the top level files/directories that are stored in it, even though it can't access them without the password (and the ability to decrypt ZIP files, of course).

So if you want to protect the identity of the files that are in a protected ZIP archive, you need to essentially ZIP it twice. The first one is protected and has all the files in it, and the second one is protected and just contains the first archive. Thus anyone can tell that there is a single ZIP file in the second archive and they can see what it's name is, but that's it.

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
You zipped a folder that you can only see on your computer then zip it up with a password using 7-zip
thats the problem

try this one out password 1234

Attachments

Last edited:

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
It seems to work on my machine (Win7). I've got WinZip installed and is my default, but I forced it to use Windows Explorer and it seemed to work fine.

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
It was done on windows 10 using 7-zip. I think he double encryption The file I posted was only password lock and the 7-zip encryption.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Not sure what you mean? How can windows "see" it if its in a protected folder?
It shows the file name, but double-clicking the file name throws the error message instead of popping up the password box.
What version of windows 10 are you using? x64? x32? Pro? Home?
x64 Home.
try this one out password 1234
Thanks. That one does work. Curiouser and curiouser :confused:. I'll have to play more....

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Still no luck with my own file zipping. Am I doing things wrong with 7-zip? I right-click on a file name and in the pop-up choose 7-zip>Add to archive. The format is set to .zip and the encryption set to AES-256. Any other settings need tweaking? Do I have to run 7-zip as admin?
Which version of 7-zip are you guys running? I have 15.06 beta (x64).

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
I have 9.10 it's on a 64 bit computer windows 10 64 bit pro.
On side note I have to make the zip with that program using the green add button.
Can't make one with a right click on file. It ask if you want to but it doesn't work I have to run the main program.

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Still no luck with my own file zipping. Am I doing things wrong with 7-zip? I right-click on a file name and in the pop-up choose 7-zip>Add to archive. The format is set to .zip and the encryption set to AES-256. Any other settings need tweaking? Do I have to run 7-zip as admin?
Which version of 7-zip are you guys running? I have 15.06 beta (x64).
If you want to share zip files with other users that will open the files natively, dont use AES encryption.
Use zip archive format with ZipCrypto encryption.

Also, no...you should not have to run as admin unless your performing some action that requires admin permissions. (like unziping a zip file to a priviledged area of the file system).:eek:

Last edited:

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
I have 9.10 it's on a 64 bit computer windows 10 64 bit pro.
On side note I have to make the zip with that program using the green add button.
Can't make one with a right click on file. It ask if you want to but it doesn't work I have to run the main program.
Use the beta 15.06. Version 9.20 was released too early to support windows 10.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Well, whadya know, it works with the ZipCrypto option :D! Problem now fully solved. I'm a happy bunny. Thanks again for the help guys!

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
Use the beta 15.06. Version 9.20 was released too early to support windows 10.
9.20 is whats on my computer it works fine. mater of fact every thing works good on this so far but My touch pad it didn't work till they posted a driver the next day..

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
Heck every thing works on 10 I will make it work LOL it is really good at fixing things and it's way better to do a clean install.