Parts of car are melting in the heat.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by bertus, Aug 12, 2015.

1. bertus

Thread Starter Administrator

Apr 5, 2008

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    ROFL! Building cars that melt at body temperature???
    I bought one 2 days ago for $6000 under its alleged value (KBB.com)
    It is parked on my west facing back porch which turns into a reflector oven in the afternoon. Fortunately, Fords don't melt in strong sunshine.
    May I take a moment to brag?

BR-549 likes this.
  3. ISB123

May 21, 2014
    What else can you expect from Renault?

4. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    The outside temperature may be 37C but being a dark-colored car, it could heat up significantly, enough to melt the plastic.

Still very poor design though :p

#12 likes this.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    The melty parts are on the OUTSIDE! Dead awful choice of materials! I hate to think what the dashboard is doing INSIDE the car!

DerStrom8 likes this.
  6. alfacliff

Dec 13, 2013
    simple solution, dont buy plasitc cars.

#12 and DerStrom8 like this.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Ford is advertising an aluminum body pick-up truck this year. Desperately needed when you are aware of the rust through problems in their roofs. I don't like or need a pick-up truck, but I can pray the use of aluminum spreads to other vehicles.

8. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    I like the Explorer. Is it going to be a work vehicle?

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    It's capable of carrying 2x4's and tools of mass destruction, but it's mostly a luxury car and I'm mostly retired now. The advantages I appreciate include the altitude of the front seat and the fact that it will bounce very differently from a Mini-Cooper or a Toyota Corolla if something awful happens. I didn't even know its pedigree until I got it home. I just knew that "less than $3000" was a steal. Now I find that it's the most pimped out vehicle I have ever owned. It's the XLT version with towing package, navigation pod, electric sun roof, 4 wheel drive, 4 wheel disc brakes, alloy wheels, A/C, cruise control, lots of air bags, rear window wiper, roof rack, running boards, automatic transmission (replaced less than a year ago), 4 liter V6 engine, leather seats, and a partridge in a pear tree. :eek:

And look at that paint job! It looks so Hollywood Cop Car that people are afraid to ding it in the parking lots!

It needs about a dozen things fixed, but that's what I do, and I have always bought used Fords. I will not need an instruction book to get into the air conditioner and replace the out-of-balance fan blade or trace out why the turn signals don't blink. ;)

Reloadron, tracecom and Sinus23 like this.
  10. Reloadron

Jan 15, 2015
    Nice little truck there #12. Those things are great and run through anything. Here in Cleveland, Ohio winters can be a challenge and nothing beats a good 4 WD truck. Even now retired and no longer driving to and from the plant in snow the wife and I will always have trucks. You buy Fords and I buy used GM trucks. :)

Ron

#12 likes this.
  11. JohnInTX

Jun 26, 2012
    A buddy of mine who worked for a Mercedes dealership in the '80's (when they were chic and everybody who wanted to be anybody just had to have one) told the story of how the A/C was not up to the Texas heat, generating many complaints. The German engineers scoffed and insisted that the A/C was correct for the car etc. etc. (Das es the vey vee did zit on ze V2!). In desperation, the local dealer group invited them to meet them at their big sales meeting in El Paso - in September. After that, they'd all pile into their Mercedes' and drive back to Dallas.

After 10 hours' driving in the searing heat of a west Texas summer, packed 5 to a car, the dealers thought that they heard mumblings in the sweaty ranks about the A/C maybe not being enough...

OTOH, my old Ford Club Wagon Chateau and '03 Tahoe work just fine - even if you can fry eggs on the seats when you get in they cool right down.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
    #12 likes this.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    I would have sworn you can't cool a black car in Florida, but this one was pleasant, even with the fan not capable of running on, "high" due to an out-of-balance fan. When I get that sucker fixed, I will probably be able to grow icicles on the dashboard.:D

13. Lestraveled

May 19, 2014
    What did they make the car trim panels with???? Re-cycled Crayola Crayons??

#12 - good choice on the Explorer. We had one. Never let us down.

#12, DerStrom8 and nsaspook like this.
  14. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    I had two, but they were both fairly old. They ended up rusting out. The first one the gas tank rusted, and rust particles in the gas tank are bad news.

#12 likes this.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    I have concluded that all Fords will rust through in 17 years, and they will only last that long if you get them painted at least once. I have NEVER had a paint shop do the body work they charged me for, so the only cure is to get it painted BEFORE there is any penetration of the paint. If I had paid for a third paint job with this last Aerostar, it wouldn't be raining on the inside at 19 years old. :mad:

On the other hand, the interior looks like 3 midgets had a machete fight with a Bengal tiger, it only has 3 gears left, the front suspension needs $800 worth of repairs, the dash board is lit up with error lights like it's getting ready for Christmas, the air conditioner finally blew out a hose I can't buy any more, it has a Blue Book value of $500, and I had to buy it a radiator and a battery just to get it to last until I found the Explorer. Bottom line: It's totaled and I didn't waste my money painting it for the third time.

I am always sad to drag a dead Ford to the dump, but they get to the point where you can replace them cheaper than you can repair them. $2700 down and a dozen minor repairs will get me a 2006 Explorer in good condition....and its so pretty!!!