Part selection for push pull follower help

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by bskerr88, Oct 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bskerr88

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Hello all!

First of all thanks for your help.. I've learned a ton just lurking around the forum and reading the online books.

Anyways I've attached the LTSpice .ASC file I am working with.

I am trying to create a push pull follower because a voltage transducer I'm using can't source enough current to a low impedance load. A little background.. this is a MV (~38kV) capacitive voltage divider, roughly a 10000:1 ratio of primary voltage to secondary voltage.

If you guys see anything glaringly wrong with my schematic please let em know.. I really need help selecting parts though. I go on digikey and I don't even know where to start sorting. I have not purchased anything yet, and I am definitely willing to play around with different components, but want to waste too much money trying different ones.

thanks!

2. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    Ahhh, wait a minute - why on earth are you trying to use a capacitive voltage divider?

You must use a transformer to isolate the circuit from high voltage. This forum does not support discussions of capacitive voltage dividers, as they cannot be made safe.

3. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    I can't view this schematic. Many users can't either. Could you please repost it as a graphic file, .png preferred?

4. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    OK Bill, here is an edited version of our OP's schematic; I tend to remove a lot of white space from people's simulations, and eliminate components that aren't really necessary to make it easier to see what's going on.

Next to symbol V1 is the statement: SINE(0 22000 60)
    which means a sine wave that has a 22kv peak (44kv peak-peak) value, 60Hz.

5. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Visualize what would happen if C1 fails. It becomes a major safety hazard for anyone in the same room. We insist on transformers on this site for the same reasons. I strongly suggest transformer for this circuit instead of the dangerous capacitive voltage divider. If you want to pick up the discussion about where and how to get such a transformer you may start another thread.

I am closing this thread as it violates AAC policy and/or safety issues.

Quote:
    6. Restricted topics. The following topics are regularly raised however are considered “off-topic” at all times and will results in Your thread being closed without question:

• Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
    • Automotive modifications
    • Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
    • LEDs to mains
    • Phone jammers
    • Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
    • Transformer-less power supplies
    This comes from our Tos:
    Terms of Service

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.