Part alternative

luke9511

Joined May 28, 2014
Hello i am working on a tv and need to replace the HOT (horizontal output transistor) which is a panasonic 2SC5904, but i cannot find this part for sale any where online and was wondering if anyone here knows of a good alternative for it that i can buy.

vk6zgo

Joined Jul 21, 2012
Hello i am working on a tv and need to replace the HOT (horizontal output transistor) which is a panasonic 2SC5904, but i cannot find this part for sale any where online and was wondering if anyone here knows of a good alternative for it that i can buy.
If you have a circuit diagram,compare the circuitry with that of another similar TV.
Some years back,we used to replace the 2SC series HOTs in Sony Profeel picture Monitors with Philips BU208D Transistors used in 27" Philips TVs.
Sony were very good at quick parts supply,but the Philips devices were either in our store,or locally available.

luke9511

Joined May 28, 2014
Last edited:

vk6zgo

Joined Jul 21, 2012
Yeah,BU208D is a T03 package---try BU508D which is in a similar package to your original one,& if I remember correctly,is electrically identical to the BU208D.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
2SC5904; Polarity: NPN
Maximum collector power dissipation (Pc), W: 65
Maximum collector-base voltage |Ucb|, V: 1700
Maximum collector-emitter voltage |Uce|, V: 600
Maximum emitter-base voltage |Ueb|, V: 7
Maximum collector current |Ic max|, A: 17
Package = TOP-3E-A1

It has NO body diode, so you can't use a BU508D, you should use a BU508.

But a BU508 is probabaly not large enough Ic? The 5904 is rated for 17A Ic and peak Ic of 27A! That's quite high. It must be a real big screen TV.

(edit) the 5904 datasheet direct link is here;
http://alltransistors.com/pdfdatasheet_panasonic/2sc5904.pdf

luke9511

Joined May 28, 2014
thank you all for all your help, i went online and looked up how to test these transistors with my meter and the HOT tested fine so thats not it, however i tested Q504 which im not sure what it is yet, but anyway i tested one leg and got a reading and then i tested the other and didnt get anything at all, im thinking whatever Q504 is, its bad and needs to be replaced, now i just need to find a diagram and find out what exactly it is and see if i can find a replacement

luke9511

Joined May 28, 2014
for some reason i cannot edit my post above, but i desolder the part and using a magnifying glass i got the following off of it

ST w3s428

p15nk507

Why bother repairing a old eol crt tv ? Lcd/plasma is much higher quality picture and much higher resolution than any blurry worn out phosphor crt can ever dream of.

I threw out everything crt years ago and never wanna go back ever again.

luke9511

Joined May 28, 2014
Why bother repairing a old eol crt tv ? Lcd/plasma is much higher quality picture and much higher resolution than any blurry worn out phosphor crt can ever dream of.

before this tv died it had a great picture, plus its free and i plan to use it with my video game consoles, but i also love fixing things and i like a challenge

For a gaming console, an old crt tv is the last thing i'd use. Ive used a plasma for 4-5 years now and i cannot even tolerate beeing near a crt tv anymore, that high pitched whine and flickery picture gives me epilepsy.

luke9511

Joined May 28, 2014
For a gaming console, an old crt tv is the last thing i'd use. Ive used a plasma for 4-5 years now and i cannot even tolerate beeing near a crt tv anymore, that high pitched whine and flickery picture gives me epilepsy.
i like crt better for stuff like my consoles from the 80's and 90's but to each their own, if anyone knows what that part is and may know of a alternative please let me know thanks

luke9511

Joined May 28, 2014
I'd say pretty much any transistor with similar voltage, current and hfe(current gain) rating in the same package and same pinout as the original will work.
only thing is i cant find any info on it on google unless im using the wrong number or something

EDIT ok i found the service manual and found this for Q504

Q504 AE004387 TJXG15NK50 FET STP15NK50ZFP

Last edited:

vk6zgo

Joined Jul 21, 2012

LCD is OK,but Plasmas look like an analog CRT TV with differential phase problems!