Paris attacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
So, you are saying that if you were in that concert hall and someone near you produced a firearm and shot one the attackers, that you would not feel gratitude??
Hmm.. that wasn't your question. You wondered if I would feel 'different' and yet I never said I wouldn't feel gratitude if someone shot the attacker. You pulled the old 'bait and switch.' All I said is I don't want Joey and his guns near me. If I went through the Paris tragedy, I probably still wouldn't want him near me.

Now, suppose I was next to someone with the training, competence and temperament to stop the attack. I would be grateful. But as I've said many times now, just possessing a gun doesn't mean someone has all the things necessary to stop an attacker, and I'd rather not be in a theater, concert hall or any other crowded place with a bunch of people with guns. Even if the venue is attacked, I don't think the NRA will protect me. I'll do my best to survive on my own.

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
ronv - it does exist because we are feeding it.

What definitely needs to be done is the following: the countries supporting them economically and those providing them with arms need to be punished. But they will not be because they are not Russia, China or Iran :(

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
ronv - it does exist because we are feeding it.

What definitely needs to be done is the following: the countries supporting them economically and those providing them with arms need to be punished. But they will not be because they are not Russia, China or Iran :(
So who is supporting them? I think they have their own money and a lot of the arms we gave the Iraqis.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Must be winter. This thread is drifting.:D
So I'll try to stir it up.
I don't think any of you have a good idea what to do with ISIS. :(
I think back to Collin Powell when he said Iraq is like Pottery Barn. You break it you buy it.
It started as the old Iraqi army that we in our infinite wisdom disbanded. So now they have experience and billions of our equipment and a reason to fight (survival) and plenty of oil money.
Now if your a young guy with no job and no future - no girls (no money) and somebody offers you a job and a wife and a big gun, - why not, nothing to loose.
My personal opinion is if we just leave it alone it will drift back to something similar to what it was before the we "fixed" it after WWII. The Turks and the Israelis may not like that to much.:eek:
They want to see us try to come in again so when you get around to nuking them, don't forget to start with Pakistan so they don't sprinkle theirs around.
Defeating Daesh "ISIS" as a state is a no brainer, 50,000 Western ground troops with mechanized divisions with a combined air war could beat them easily. The being there for 20 years in the ME taking pot shots in middle of what's left is what's keeping anyone from doing it. They want us to go there and they want us to start treating anyone with a Muslim name as a terrorist so I expect an escalation of terror events from Daesh as a recruiting tool for fresh bodies and attempts to sour western relationships with Turkey as a prime objective. The best we can hope for in the short run is to manage a split in the group from the former Iraq Baathist military leaders (by killing as many as possible) who are mainly secular but are tolerated by the religious leaders as a necessary evil to plan and execute the military side of the magic kingdom.

http://blog.sfgate.com/soccer/2015/11/17/turkey-soccer-fans-boo-minute-of-silence-for-paris-attacks/

Status
Not open for further replies.