Parametric speaker query

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by vanquish_uk, Mar 25, 2013.

1. vanquish_uk

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 12, 2012

I am looking to see if it is possilbe to create a very simple and small parametric speaker which emits a repetitive 'pip' sound or 'beeping' that is very small and low powered. I understand that paramtric speakers are coming into their own at the minute and a recent success on kickstarter (SoundLazer) has made it more accesible however what I need it for is not for playing songs or voice recordings so I do not require the expense. Without going into too much detail as to what I want to use it for I would like it to emit a repetitve sound at a distance around 10m or more and have it powered by a common household battery.

The closest example to something that I would like to build can be found at the pdf link below from a Japanese supplier and I believe it can play (probably quite poorly) audio and is about the spec I would like although it is mains powered (converting down to 12v 1amp). I am awaiting further details back form this supplier.

here is the kickstarter link for those interested

Apologies if the details are slim but my understanding of electronics is basic at best and I am basically looking to see if I could apply the same repetitive signal from something like a rape alarm, car alarm and have it played through a small parametric speaker and if so how cheaply/efficiently this can be done. The breakdown list of components of the kickstarter project shows the main circuit board (audio processing) as the major cost so I do not want to over engineer the device.

Any help appreciated, thanks in advance