Parallel tracking on the dual channel PSU

mufasa

Joined Nov 4, 2016
I know some multi channel PSUs on the market has serial and parallel tracking modes that you can get more voltage and current out of it.
The PSU I have is from TTi (EL302RD) and it's one of the most basic models available. It has dual channel but without the built-in auto tracking modes.
I'm wondering is it possible (or safe?) to connect the two channels on my PSU together in parallel so I can get more current? If so, what would be the proper way of doing it?

Here is the control panel of my PSU:

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
From the manual:
The EL302RD has two independent isolated outputs each with a 0 to 30V, 0 to 2A capability. The
outputs operate in constant voltage or constant current mode with automatic crossover and mode
indication. Each output has its own on-off switch. The outputs can be wired in either series or
parallel to provide voltages up to 60 volts or currents up to 4 amps.
http://docs-europe.electrocomponents.com/webdocs/0ce7/0900766b80ce71b9.pdf

mufasa

Joined Nov 4, 2016
Thanks AlbertHall! Should've read the manual carefully.

I've heard a lot of horrible things happen when connecting PSUs in parallel due to load balancing (control loops fighting each other).

Would it be necessary to connect diodes to each channel's output to prevent the unbalance that might burn the power supply?

JUNELER

Joined Jul 13, 2015
Hi,
as you said you want to connect in parallel the two channel to get a current max to 4amps.
parallel connection meant like this..... consider the left controls as the Achannel and right side is the Bchannel.
Connect the positive terminal of the Achannel to positive terminal of the Bchannel, ,likewise do the same on the negative
terminals. Parallel connection give a constant voltage and increases the current output.
As per manuals stated it allows to do it in serial or parallel connection meant it tested and
safely by the manufacturer. So no need to worry.

Last edited:

mufasa

Joined Nov 4, 2016
Thanks JUNELER!

But again, is it necessary to connect diodes (perhaps schottky diode?) to each channel's output to prevent the unbalance that might burn the power supply?