Parallel MOSFETs

Rmauser

Joined Feb 12, 2013
Hello! I'm planning to parallel two TPS27081A high-side PFET switches to increase current throughput and decrease overheating that I'm experiencing at higher loads with just one switch. Is it okay to share the 10k pull-up resistor R1 between the two switches (space is extremely limited and my resistor array is used up) and also share the single logic line used to control the original single switch? Any special things I need to consider when paralleling two of these switches for power control (one output). Thanks for any help as I'm quite new to this!

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
There needs to be resistance between the two gates, to damp any LC ringing between them. Something like 100Ω on each gate is often seen.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
You haven't posted your circuit, nor said what it's purpose is. Without such information, it's difficult to determine what the actual cause of your P-ch MOSFET getting hot actually is; however using a single 10k resistor to turn the MOSFET off will mean a slow turn-off, and plenty of power dissipation.

If you post your complete circuit, you will get better feedback as to how you might fix the actual problem.

If your gate control circuitry is not adequate, adding a 2nd MOSFET will not help the situation.