Parallel DC Circuits Worksheet Q1

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Legion6789, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Legion6789

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 8, 2014
    Question 1 of this worksheet: http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/worksheets/dc_p.html

I got the answers right, but in the answer it states "You might want to mention that in electrical parlance, a "heavy" load is one that draws a large amount of current, and thus has a large resistance. This circuit, which shows how the lowest resistance in a parallel circuit consumes the most power, gives practical support to the term "heavy" used to describe loads."

The first phrase says that a heavy load draws a large amount of current and thus has a large resistance. This seems backwards as large resistances lead to less current. This fact is reinforced in the question where the 1 ohm resistor has 3 times the current of the 3 ohm resistor going through it.

The second phrase makes sense as it states that low resistances lead to greater power dissipation.

So is the "heaviness" of a load determined by the resistance, the current or the power dissipation?

Also, is the phrase "a 'heavy' load is one that draws a large amount of current, and thus has a large resistance" incorrect? Or am I misunderstanding something?

2. Veracohr

Jan 3, 2011
    'Heavy' is just a colloquialism, but it generally means a load that demands a lot of current from the source.

You're correct, that sentence is inaccurate.

3. Legion6789

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 8, 2014
    Thanks for the answer!

4. russ_hensel

Jan 11, 2009
    But read careflully:

"You might want to mention that in electrical parlance, a "heavy" load is one that draws a large amount of current, and thus has a large resistance. This circuit, which shows how the lowest resistance in a parallel circuit consumes the most power, gives practical support to the term "heavy" used to describe loads."

A large amount of current implies a low, small resistance, so the above is wrong? ( I did not go back to the book to see if the quote was accurate.