painting mechanism in robotic arm

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by stylediva, May 31, 2012.

1. stylediva

Thread Starter Member

Dec 6, 2011
    i am working on an industrial robotic arm..its fabrication is started and now i have decided to make it a painting robotic arm..but i m not getting the idea of its mechanism like which type of injector or compressor should be used..how can i implement that??..help me with this..

2. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    wet paint or powder coat?
    they make end effector tooling for both already.
    The process is no different than a manual paint line.

3. stylediva

Thread Starter Member

Dec 6, 2011
    if ai put painting brush at the end effector of robotic arm and put the painting bucket beside..then what controlling technique can be used??..

4. BillB3857

Feb 28, 2009
    You would need to define the position of the bucket and the part being painted. Create a scan profile with proper overlap for the brush strokes to the part being painted. Periodically return the brush to the bucket for additional paint. Adjust depth of brush into bucket to allow for paint draw from bucket during usage. When end of scan profile is reached, park robot arm with brush over bucket. Notify operator of job complete. It would be a lot easier to just spray it with liquid or powder.

5. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    yeah why would you go through all the trouble of setting up an industrial robotic arm with a regular paint brush and bucket.

spray it man..spray it

6. stylediva

Thread Starter Member

Dec 6, 2011
    Actually i m trying to decide the end effector of my 3DOF robotic arm which is easy to implement and program.refer me some techniques.is it easy to put pen at the end effector?..is it easy to program??..

7. BillB3857

Feb 28, 2009
    The calculations required to position the end effector with 3DOF is extensive. If you want to use a pencil and keep it at a fixed angle to the writing surface, you must consider the shoulder joint at the base can generate 2DOF circles. The elbow joint only has 1DOF and would need to move to compensate for the departure from a straight line you need to keep the pencil on the paper.. As the shoulder sweeps left or right, the end effector must sweep an equal number of degrees in the opposite direction. Likewise for the combined angle of shoulder up-down and elbow. These two angles must be combined and the end effector rotated the appropriate amount to compensate. Do you plan on implementing a "teach mode" so you can manually move to a position and have all of the angles resulting in that point remembered as a point on the path? Also, it would be a good idea to spring load your pencil.

8. stylediva

Thread Starter Member

Dec 6, 2011
    no i m not using teach mode..i will use DH parameters to assign frames to each joint and then coordinates will be entered in the microcontroller and the arm will move accordingly..

9. BillB3857

Feb 28, 2009
    Good luck. Be sure to let us know how it turns out!