paintball scenario bomb prop...help?

ptblduffy

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Hey, brand new to electronics here. My goal is to make a prop for paintball scenario games. I would like it to have two buttons, one for arming and one for disarming. There would be a short delay for arming/disarming (say 10 sec.), and a longer delay for the bomb to actually go off (45 sec. to a minute). Basically, if you've ever played a game like sabotage in COD4 or some other game, I would like it to function like that(with the obvious exception that i don't really want it to blow up, maybe just beep loudly :)). Anyway, as i said, I'm completely new here, so basically i'm looking for any advise at all. If anyone has seen a walkthrough somewhere, or just has a place for me to start learning(the timeframe for having it done is almost a year) it'd be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
-Duffy

roddefig

Joined Apr 29, 2008
Hello. Sounds like an easy job for a little microcontroller. What programming and electronics experience do you have?

ptblduffy

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Hello. Sounds like an easy job for a little microcontroller. What programming and electronics experience do you have?
Basically very little. I've made very simple circuits(like battery to switch to light, lol) As to programming, i know about it, like the different languages, but i dont know how to do it. I'm pretty much just looking for a good place to start.

Also thank you for the reply, and also thank you thingmaker3

guitardenver

Joined Jan 24, 2009
I'm doing the same thing for a sponsored arisoft game that we are haveing.

What you should start with is relay switches. they come in handy.

Also check out the 555 timer. Its very simple. Use the astable mode (that will make more sense if you look it up.) It is a chip that turns on one light then after a amount of time turns on another. It has a Positive output for the time and then switches to a negitive output.

Get the chip put it in a bread bored. Huck up pin 1 to negitive, pin 4 and 8 to positive, connect pin 2 and 6 directly together, put a 1k ohm resistor from pin 8 to pin 7, then put a 5k ohm resistor from pin 7 to pin 6, then put a 10uf capasitor from pin 2 to pin 1 (the negitive side of cap is connected to pin 1. Now take a light and put on lead to negitive and the other to pin 3. Then put another light on, one lead to positive this time and the other lead to pin 3. ( to slow this down put a 470uf cap instead you will see the funtion of the chip even better)

what this will do is the light will blink about 13 times a second. If you increase the uf on the cap you will get a slower blinker also if you increase the resistor you will also get a slower blinker. So if you put a 2200uf cap and r1 will be 50k ohm and r2 will 1mega ohm. you will get the light connected to negitive to turn on for about 30 min and then the light connected to positive to turn on for about the same time creating a delay.

hope this helps,

PS christmas lights are great to use. Put a 50ohm resistor on it if you are using a nine volt.