Paging Hypatias Protege

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Though my better judgment fairly screams the standard admonition (To wit: "Don’t feed the trolls") I must confess to no little curiosity as regards your specific ‘interest’ in my profile..
So… Inasmuch as (based upon the nature of your posts and private messages) it is not entirely unreasonable to conclude that my profile is subject of some genuine misapprehension, I offer the following:

Are you who you seem to be?
I don’t know -- Who do I seem to be?

We're all dog panicked
Interesting idiom…

back at the polly
I do not, nor have I ever, lectured or studied at a polytechnic…

FWIW: My user name derives from “Hypatia of Alexandria” (q.v.) A personal heroine and benefactor…

In closing I wish to point up the folly of drawing literal conclusions from Avatars --- Let's leave it at this: I won’t call you a greasy little robot if you refrain from regarding me as a ‘fashionably maniacal’ Cossack… k?;)

With dubious regards
HP

PS -- Nice 'profile name' BTW... :)

Last edited:

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
A fasionablly meniacal cossak ROFLOL! I was thinking maybe an overdressed firefighter :p if not you then who is that? Hypata? anyway i just want to say your right I mistake your posts for anothers will you offer me second chance? I like forums!
And I'm not greasy!:p

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
A fasionablly meniacal cossak ROFLOL! I was thinking maybe an overdressed firefighter :p
Overdressed, perhaps, on the 'fashion-front' --- albeit shockingly under-dressed from a PPE perspective!-- Exquisitely silly millinery does not a hard hat make! ;)

If not you then who is that? Hypata?
No! My avatar is neither an image of myself, Hypatia of Alexandria nor even my dear old grand-mom in her youth --- It is, rather, a cinematic portrayal of a wholly fictional character --- Though I hesitate to say you'd need to be older than you behave to recognize the film in question -- the fact would seem to remain!;)

Inasmuch as you seem to be obsessing over the identity of my avitar's subject, and in the 'spirit' of the game you've made of the issue: Please note that my reference to her as a 'Cossack' is a major clue --- Also, look closely, she's holding an axe not a scepter (as many seem to think)... Jeeeezzze!!! You must have a lot of time on your hands!:rolleyes:

I just want to say your right I mistake your posts for anothers will you offer me second chance? I like forums!
A second chance at what? If you've been censured by Admin I can't help you with that... Otherwise merely eschew the 'seven deadly topics', generally behave yourself and you should be cool:cool: ---
Know, also, that I bear you no ill will -- Hey! A 'Georg Cantor fan' can't be all bad! :)

ps dog panicked is just a 70s thing bebe lestrange
Google is indeed my friend this evening! FWIW I always thought the band (i.e. 'Heart') was under-appreciated --- Then too, few artists are sufficiently 'abstract' to view being eclipsed by their own work as a good thing...;)

And I'm not greasy!
No? well then, I stand corrected: "An oily little robot" ;););)

Best regards
HP

Last edited:

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
I saw your comment on the ETO chat board and in your avatar your wearing the Cossack hat? but why you in black and white? I like you in color with the evil snood like you’re on here Are you really Cossack or in fancy dress?
My question is my al1200 overheats on all bands when operating digital and mfj won’t help what do I do?

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Sigh… First off would you please drop the PHONEY 'ESL vernacular'! Yes! Phony! – Because, among other glaring 'giveaways', your lexical talent is ‘out of sync’ with your feigned, and, I might add, inconsistent, laxity as regards spelling and punctuation --- to say nothing of your wholly transparent syntactic inelegance! --- A joke is a joke -- howbeit ESLers, as evinced by their decision to ‘tackle’ a second language, are hard workers whom I have no wish to disrespect...

Re: Your apparent fixation with my avatar?!...
At risk of lowering the tone of this forum to that of IMDB (a dread fate indeed!) allow me to dispel your misapprehensions. My avatars, here (AAC) and on the ‘Electro-Tech-Online’ fora, are different images of a character appearing in an old Vincent Price satirical film (to wit “The Abominable Dr. Phibes”) Specifically ‘Vulnavia’ (as portrayed by Virginia North -a.k.a-.Virginia Northrop, -a.k.a- Lady White) --- Said character being wholly fictitious and bearing no intentional parallel to any person (or automaton;)) living or dead – Got it??? Furthermore, in case you feel it is any of your concern, my choice of that particular character as my avatar owes -- entirely -- to her strong resemblance to a close personal friend (said resemblance being a subject of humor for many years) --- In summary: My avatar is *NOT* an image of myself! --- I begin to think I should have used my RA (Coolidge tube) avatar, as I do most everywhere else -- tho’ I shudder to think what you'd have made of that?!

But to continue

RE: the AL1200 which, BTW, is manufactured my AMERITRON not MFJ (I know, I know, same ownership, etc… howbeit crossed “t”s and dotted “i”s aren’t entirely without merit)…

Firstly nice to see you asking substantive questions! --- Though it’d be even nicer to see them on appropriate fora… It turns out that in the daze (sic) of my youth I encountered several amps of that ‘cast’ to wit: GG PAs implemented with power triodes sans grid rings --- ergo low tank Q – ergo excessive heating during extended CW-mode (e.g. digital) operation…

The short answer: Redesign the RF deck for operation with the YU-181 (A.K.A 3CX1200Z7 --- Note the ‘Z’) unlike the (supplied) 3CX1200A7, the 'Z7's construction features a grid-ring conducive of designs featuring greatly increased tank ‘Q’ --- I’ll be happy to elaborate upon/assist you with this at such time as the merest inkling of serious intent is forthcoming! :D

EDIT: Please be attentive to the fact that the 'solution' outlined above is one of 'radical' tank circuit redesign NOT drop-in replacement of the triode!!!

With hopeful regards
HP

Last edited:

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
Vulnavia, huh? google agrees but I think she looks like you instead of a friend, why else use her pic? So will you say Vulnavia is a heroin of yours?
happy to know my al1200 is working as to be expected, would like to upgrade though yu181 is a very expensive tube. Another thing, why does counter say I have zero messages? I’ve been posting after all! I’m not making fun of forenigers just typing faster than thinking :)

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Vulnavia, huh? google agrees but I think she looks like you instead of a friend, why else use her pic?
Ok! have it your way!!! I’m Vulnavia and you’re The Tin Man – May we all live happily ever after…

So will you say Vulnavia is a heroin of yours?
Um…. No! Actually Hypatia is my Heroine! --- Wheras Vulnavia is rather more like my LSD!;););) That said, 'acid' (in the low-PH sense) was Vulnavia's undoing ;-( --- Methinks there's a moral in there... somewhere...:confused:

would like to upgrade though yu181 is a very expensive tube.
New YU-181s can be had (even in single/small quantities) for less than $2K (USD) apiece -- if that qualifies as ‘expensive’ perhaps you should investigate another avocation…

Another thing, why does counter say I have zero messages?
Interesting, I hadn’t noticed -- Well… I can but guess that the counter is not incremented by posts to one's own threads and/or posts to ‘special’ fora (cip off-topic) --- Both of which go to my point that you should 'diversify' as it were!:)

EDIT: Inasmuch as the posting of this response did not increment my 'messages' count, the latter speculation would seem to be verified! :D

I’m not making fun of forenigers just typing faster than thinking
Pleased to hear it! Though you may wish to reconsider the applicability of the term ‘foreigners’ to an international site… Not a statement of political deference, but, rather, common sense…

Best regards
HP

Last edited:

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
Hi Ms. Hypatia! I'm not like they say made out of money like that for the yu181 I hope you understand? I ask question on general forum about op amp problem that drive me mad for years hope I not wear out my welcome though. I used to work with design pll circuit, different of coarse except that servo concept is same that I understand but op amp no! starting to though thank to helpful replies:) I watch dr phibes movie and see what you mean about death of vulnavia I should be ashamed feeling sorry for the bad person but I did anyway. Now I get that heroin is drug but heroine is hero I make mistake but should say joke instead would you have believed? No offense to foreigners just bad word choice I live in USA now but not native so I could be in that glass house if misunderstood:( do you know cheap source of yu-181?

I'm not like they say made out of money like that for the yu181
$2,000 (USD) is not excessive! I think I'll never understand the 'mean' approach taken by so many where avocations are concerned! Stated plainly: It's only $2k and $2k isn't going to break anyone!

do you know cheap source of yu-181?
As I've said they are very, very inexpensively purchased new!...

But to respond to your question in the spirit it was asked...
Many 3-meter broadcast transmitters (e.g. CCA) implement the YU-181 as a driver -- Inasmuch as these have no 'core' value, you could probably purchase a 'spent' tube from a broadcaster for less than $100 -- It is common practice to 'pull' tubes at ca 95% (i.e. at such time as the emission has fallen to the point that the tube drives a good final to 95% optimal transmitter output) which is NOT to say anything remotely approaching 95% of the tube's life remains!!! --- Even so it may 'last' a long time in amateur service --- also, inasmuch as such tubes employ thoriated tungsten cathodes they may, theoretically, be 'rejuvenated'...

Again! Please! Just buy a NEW tube! -- Redesigning the Amp is sufficiently arduous sans the additional complication of questionable parts! --- Seriously, I have no desire to sound like an EIMAC shill or a finger-wagging jerk --- but jeeeeze! We're talking 'pennies and nickles' here...

I ask question on general forum about op amp problem that drive me mad for years
Yes, I read the thread --- If it's any consolation I feel your 'confusion' speaks well of you! -- It shows that you're thinking which, in my experience, places you well within the elite 1% :cool:

hope I not wear out my welcome though.
I very much doubt it! --- Your post showed genuine interest, attentiveness to replys, and gratitude... It just doesn't get better than that! :D:D:D

I used to work with design pll circuit, different of coarse except that servo concept is same
Assuming you mean a PLL system (as, for instance, a frequency synthesizer) as compared to a regulator scheme (of the sort described in your post) --- Spot on!:cool: --- further to this, as you will discover, the 'loop filter' is the sole facet of either system requisite of 'true' 'engineering talent' --- Again, well spotted parallel!:cool:

I watch dr phibes movie and see what you mean about death of vulnavia I should be ashamed feeling sorry for the bad person but I did anyway.
A lachrymose scene indeed! :(

à la the lyrics from a classic pop tune to wit:
"I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints.
The sinners are much more fun..." ;)

Now I get that heroin is drug but heroine is hero I make mistake but should say joke instead would you have believed?
Actually I thought it was a play on words --- confession may be good for the soul but, perhaps, not-so-much for the ego...?;)

Hi Ms. Hypatia!...
Again, I caution against drawing conclusions from avitars and profile names...;)

Best regards
HP

Last edited:

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
Hi
Don’t be cross because I can’t spend $2000 for yu181! Linear needs digital modes at ham club pls tell me where is 3 meter broadcaster?
I hope you can help with op amp question when I set up a single ended unity follower output goes to +rail when non inverting input less than 1.8v why so? Also what is the meaning of bipolar transistors with numerous emitter and collectors?
Now, friend, I complete profile, no longer robot! You like my pic better?:)

Don’t be cross because I can’t spend $2000 for yu181!
I’m not angry --- Though I’m bound to say I’ve scant patience with parsimony! -- especially where more is to be lost than saved! Although my offer of assistance yet stands, be advised that your misplaced priorities (to wit: trivial 'economy' over quality) has a veritable withering effect upon my alacrity in this regard…

pls tell me where is 3 meter broadcaster?
3-Meter (88.1 MHz through 107.9 MHz) broadcast stations are ubiquitous! My advice, however, is that you appeal directly to the appropriate member of the technical staff (inasmuch as management tend to be ‘media types’ and media types… Um... well... enough said!);)

I set up a single ended unity follower output goes to +rail when non inverting input less than 1.8v why so?
That is precisely what one would expect (with the qualification that, instead of attaining the positive rail, the output approaches same within Ca. 2 volts)

Point being: single (i.e. unbalanced) supply applications involving low input levels require a device exhibiting a common-mode input range extending to the negative rail…
Be advised, however, that (unless explicitly stated otherwise) the output swing will not likely include the rails…

Also what is the meaning of bipolar transistors with numerous emitter and collectors?
Succinctly: the emitters implement a logic "AND" function in that forward bias of the device requires forward bias of all base-emitter junctions… Whereas the collectors are merely mirrors (pun intended!;)) --- FWIW I was unaware that such devices are available as discrete units?!

I complete profile, no longer robot! You like my pic better?
Since you asked I’m bound to express my (strongly held) opinion that public deposition of personal ‘info’ (including images of oneself) is folly!!!

Best regards
HP

PS
OBTW your vacillating syntactic 'style' just gets scarier and scarier!!!;););)

Last edited:

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
ATTN: Aleph(0) (and any one who cares...)

Just so you don't get the wrong impression; Seriously, I couldn't care less about your nationality, ethnicity, etc... Nor do I 'buy into' silly sterotypes! --- It's merely that you had WAY too much fun with my avatar, and you know what they say about 'turnabout' and all that...!:p
So it seems, in light of KJ6EAD's discovery, that your avatar is not an image of yourself? --- KUDOS! Privacy is a treasure beyond price, pleased to see some people still value it:cool:

Sincerely, with best regards and absolutely no insult intended anyone!
HP:)

Last edited:

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Also what is the meaning of bipolar transistors with numerous emitter and collectors
Re: the above cited devices: Please advise me as to your source for 'discretes' --- Despite considerable 'research' I have failed to locate, or, indeed, verify the existence of same (outside of integrated devices)...:confused:

Many advanced thanks!:)
HP

PS:
FYI: My response to the question may be found in post #14:D

Last edited:

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
Despite considerable 'research' I have failed to locate, or, indeed, verify the existence of same (outside of integrated devices)..
My oldest copy of Towers, oops!#! Ball (9th) lists a dual emitter transistor designation as shown.
However I can't see one listed in the main body of the text.

basediags.jpg

Last edited: