Page Width

willy1usa

Joined Feb 9, 2007
Just recently joined, love the site, but it's working me to death scrolling left to right, then back to right to left to read the pages. Is there a way to set my browser to "fit to screen" without changing the resolution? I'm not running anything odd, just regular Windows ME edition with stock Explorer as my browser.

Thanks.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Hi willy1usa and welcome to All About Circuits.

This is a new one on me, and I'm not sure what I can recommend - AFAIK the page works correctly in all major browsers. I assume since you are running Windows ME that your Internet Explorer browser is version 5.5 which wasn't the most feature rich or standards compliant version, so I assume this is where your problem lies.

I will alert jrap (site technical admin) to your issue, but he has put a lot of work into making the site as standards compliant as possible hence creating clashes with un-standards-complient browsers like the old versions of IE, therefore may suggest that your only remedy is to switch browsers (which if you are running IE 5.5 on Windows ME might not be a bad idea afterall).

Dave

willy1usa

Joined Feb 9, 2007
Thanks for your quick response. I'm running Internet Explorer 6 w/service pack 1. I enjoy the site so much, I'll just keep scrolling horizonally back and forth until I can find some one, friend, family, etc. that can tell me what I'm doing wrong.
Thanks,
willy

jrap

Joined Jun 25, 2006
Hi willy1usa,

Is it the forum, or the main website that requires you to scroll (or both?)?
What resolution are you running at?

Thanks!

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Hi williusa,

I'm with jrap - if your screen reso is 800, you will have to scroll. Set the display for 1024 and admire the change.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Forgot about the screen resolution factor. I've used a wide-screen PC for so long now that I forget about the impact that a low res has on certain websites.

Although it is sometime since I used Windows ME (thankfully!) you should be able to modify the resolution by right-clicking the desktop and selecting Properties>Setting - you should see a slider or dropdown menu from where you can change the resolution.

Dave