packrat needs advice...

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
The school my granddaughter attends, has a rather advanced science department...
They threw out a Tektronics oscilloscope - likely for a good reason, nonetheless, it is sitting out in the weather... would it be worth snagging, if only for the parts ?

PS.. it is a real old tube-type... details and pictures pending... PICTURES ON POST # 16

Last edited:

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Well you can snag it. But my experience with such units are that you will most probably end up throwing it out your self. But you never know before you have tried. It could be an golden nugget.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Packrat, what are you fishing for? From your user name and the things you've said in the past about dumpster diving, I'm willing to bet money that you snatched that thing the instant you saw it, and probably have it on your desk as you write this post.

I've pulled two tek scopes out of the dumpster to date, and neither worked. But I didn't even open the case to troubleshoot yet. One day. Also got an HP logic analyzer, general radio decade resistors, rack mount 0-600v 0-5A power supply, etc etc. This was all from the same dumpster. Big find.

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
Well, No.... Strantor kind of has my number on this...:p [ kicking myself... ] True to my nom-de-plume, I have collected far too much JUNK, and now thinning the herd - having a recycle-for-cash party...

I shall most certainly snag it - if still there - this afternoon... and post a picture, even tho' it is in Pathetic shape...

Last edited:

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I am going out on a limb to say no on the modules... I shall post pix if fortunate enough to still snag it later today...
Just to see inside an old TEK scope is worth the effort.

Be awed by the ceramic solder strips and the spare roll of silver solder inside on the back of the chassis!

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Well, No.... Strantor kind of has my number on this...:p [ kicking myself... ] the machine in OP has potential "toys" and I had to shanghai my son to even get the behemoth over the tailgate.. it must weigh 300 lbs. :eek:
True to my nom-de-plume, I have collected far too much JUNK, and now thinning the herd - having a recycle-for-cash party...

I shall most certainly snag it - if still there - this afternoon... and post a picture, even tho' it is in Pathetic shape...
What "machine in op"? Are you saying the Tektronix oscope weighs 300 lb or is there some other machine you're talking about? Confused.

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
Oops !! :D sorry peoples ... The " behemoth " is a combination copy machine / printer-collator and paper cabinet on wheels, and weighs a " ton "

Senior Brainfart... :rolleyes:

Attachments

Last edited:

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
HV PSU Ain't all the toys in those...
I have stripped a good number of electrostatic plain-paper copiers for the guts... they are loaded with all shapes and descriptions of solenoids, electric clutches, and assorted packrat bait......:D

Nobody seems to remember why they trashed it... I'm discovering that most of the *toys* are made in China, so the whole kit n' kaboodle gets recycled...

Attachments

Last edited:

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
The school my granddaughter attends, has a rather advanced science department...
They threw out a Tektronics oscilloscope - likely for a good reason, nonetheless, it is sitting out in the weather... would it be worth snagging, if only for the parts ?
If you're really lucky - you might score a few tunnel diodes.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
DEFINITELY! Snag it! Tek scopes are excellent, and it is probably repairable. I try to pick up any I can find, even if they're not working, so I can try to repair them and even give them to someone in need. I'm always horrified when someone throws electrical test equipment away!

Regards,
Matt

EDIT: Oops, apparently I missed the second page of replies. Do you mean to say there isn't a tektronics scope?

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
Overall it really looks clean, considering...

The cooling fan is seized, [ not a real problem ] and that is my main roadblock to attempting to fire it up... other that the fact it has been soaked to the bone...

I will dry it out, and keep y'all posted...

It appears to be a real jewel, since I have a tube tester...

There are more pix coming up later

Attachments

Last edited:

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
Yes, you don't want them seeing this! Vac tubes from a "rather advanced science department..."
Could scar them for life. :eek:
Max.
The sarcasm is k-k-killin' me Max :D they do have a pretty nice department, this came out of a deep dark warehouse so I'm told...and has been left in the rain for a couple weeks B4 I stumbled on to it...

Should I fan-dry it in the sunshine tomorrow, and try to *fire* it up ??

PICTURES ON POST # 16

Last edited:

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
Just to see inside an old TEK scope is worth the effort.

Be awed by the ceramic solder strips and the spare roll of silver solder inside on the back of the chassis!
Oh!! is THAT where I got those !!! :D
My neighbor gave me a tek scope a bunch of years ago, that his <snip> dawg had peed on the face of, rendering it totalled , and I have some of the items you mention.

I sold the CRT out of it to a local electronics dismantler, who cussed me luridly for not selling him the whole machine...:rolleyes:

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
DEFINITELY! Snag it! Tek scopes are excellent, and it is probably repairable. I try to pick up any I can find, even if they're not working, so I can try to repair them and even give them to someone in need. I'm always horrified when someone throws electrical test equipment away!

Regards,
Matt

EDIT: Oops, apparently I missed the second page of replies. Do you mean to say there isn't a tektronics scope?
When I won a transistor RF gen at the local tip, the old valve jobbie went on Freecycle - it went to a radio ham.

It wasn't in perfect working order - a VR tube in the PSU was bodged with a string of zeners, this was also probably why the AM oscillator didn't work.

The bloke who picked it up was very pleased with his new toy, and completely happy to fit the right VR tube and repair it properly.