P90X - Any fitness buffs in here?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by wannaBinventor, Sep 29, 2010.

1. wannaBinventor

Thread Starter Member

Apr 8, 2010
    I'm in my second day of P90X. I'm a Marine (reservist), so I'm already in decent shape. Even still, this is an azz kicker.

What I wanted to ask about were supplements. I have some creatine and whey protein left over from where some of my buddies were throwing out supplements at the end of a deployment because they didn't have enough room to take it home, lol.

I got to thinking:

One serving of the protein is 160 calories. Ones serving of the creatine is 150 calories. That's 310 calories added daily from just supplements, not to mention the extra milk to mix with the protein.

To be honest, this seems like I'm just replacing the calories I just busted my butt to burn, possibly preventing me from running a calorie defecit and losing fat. So, is it worth is to take them or not?

2. Markd77

Sep 7, 2009
    I'm not a total fitness buff, but I've tried creatine. It increases muscle endurance but also increases muscle water content so you will put on a few pounds (but it's only water). There were no side effects for me, and they are not common. Give it a try, you might find it makes things easier.
    There's not much point taking extra protein if you are getting a good diet (ie. not a vegetarian).
    <ed> Endurance probably isn't the right word there. I found that I could do more press ups, etc, and also it seemed that recovery was faster after short sprints. </ed>
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  3. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    This seems like a fairly balanced report on creatine. At least, it is not selling anything: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creatine_supplements

Also, as you seem to realize, the most effective way to lose weight is to reduce caloric intake. Exercise helps in the process not so much from burning excess caloric intake, but from its other effects -- both mental and physical.