Overshoot problem

Amir Sarikhan

Joined May 29, 2015
Hi all
I have a question
I use atmega 8 for making pulses on OC1A pin
I used oscope to zoom in one pulse details
The problem is that when an overshoot is created on pulse level change, the overshoot maximum is higer than the input ic voltage ?
How does it can occur ?
I attached the oscope result

the blue is input voltage and the yellow is overshoot

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
How long is your ground lead on the oscilloscope probe? Try attaching the spring ground contact and try again.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Because the 10cm of the ground lead has lots of inductance, which will change the shape of the edges of the signal. So it is ok to use the long lead for slow signal, but if you want accurate measurement of fast edges you need to use the shortest ground possible.
Also the long lead will often pickup stray magnetic fields from other parts of the measured circuit which again might fool you into thinking that something is wrong when it really isnt.

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
The inductance of the ground lead of your scope probe and the capacitance of the probe form a series resonant circuit, and it is the "ringing" of this resonant circuit you are seeing on the scope; there's nothing wrong with your circuit. To reduce this overshoot, use the shortest ground connection possible.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Yes. The probe has some capacitance between the tip and ground, and the ground lead has some inductance. With high enough dV/dT (rise time) the resonance of the LC becomes significant and creates that ringing.

Amir Sarikhan

Joined May 29, 2015
Yes. The probe has some capacitance between the tip and ground, and the ground lead has some inductance. With high enough dV/dT (rise time) the resonance of the LC becomes significant and creates that ringing.
But why it is higher than IC voltage ?

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
OBW0549
You mean there must be no overshoot at all ?
Ummm... no. What I'm saying is that you should stop worrying about this "overshoot" because it is occurring in your scope probe, NOT in the circuit you are testing. If this apparent overshoot still bothers you, you can minimize it by using a shorter probe ground lead, which will have less inductance.

(If you want to demonstrate the effect of excessive ground lead inductance, try extending the scope probe ground lead with a long clip lead, like several feet long; then observe on the scope, you will see a LOT of ringing!)

Last edited: