Overheating

Discussion in 'Electronics Resources' started by skusku, Mar 21, 2013.

1. skusku

Thread Starter Active Member

Aug 9, 2009
    Hi

I got a DC motor and gearbox system with 4 wheels from a RC car. I remember from back then the RC car could make 40km/h.
    I want to use it for a new project.

Now the RC motor comes with what seems to be a 7.2V battery. I tested it slowly but surely with a 1amp variable psu from 7V to 12V working just fine but the 1amp is too little to move the RC car. I then used a 12V 7.2ah battery,but now the wires are getting very hot within like 3 seconds.

I got a spare 12V 3A laptop psu to test with and that seems to give too little current.

Now is there a way to limit the current from the 12V battery to a sufficient amp ?

I will be using a micro-controller with this circuit and use PWM as it seems possible but the heat is a big issue!:
    http://www.pyroelectro.com/tutorials/h_bridge_4_transistor/conclusion.html

2. skusku

Aug 9, 2009
  3. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    Not if mounted to heat sink the way they are supposed to be. The metal tab is part of the internal workings, so watch it doesn't make contact with any other part of your circuitry.

4. skusku

Aug 9, 2009
    OK so I built the 10A H bridge circuit. With the 7.2V RC car battery the Robot with a load is able to move around. When I connect it through the 10A H bridge circuit the robot is not able to move due to too little current. I tried a 12V 7.2ah battery and get the same results. What options do I have now? Please help

5. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    Show schematic of your H bridge and control circuit

6. skusku

Aug 9, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2013