Overhead line shock

MIRINGU

Joined Mar 18, 2007
hi,i've heard many pple say that if u happen to hang on overhead lines ie your legs above the ground,you can't get a shock.:mad:
Knowing very well that AC as little as 110v or 240v gives a shock.But overhead lines carry more than 11kv how true is the matter????

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
As long as you don't come in contact with another conductor, it's very true. look at all the birds that can sit on any power line in perfect safety.

I might say that dangling from a hot power line might not be a smart thing to do...

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
Theoretically, its allright to hang from a wire but practically is not very safe. This is because you may be very close to ground or other wires and cause sparks and get shocked. If the distance between you and an object is little and the voltage is high then the breakdown voltage of the air (3000000 V/m) may be reached. Another reason is the capacitance between you and ground. If it gets large enough then a significant amount of current will flow and you will get shocked.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
There was a video that showed guys being placed on very high voltage electric transmission lines from a helicopter. They needed to charge themselves with a pole that made huge sparks. Then they needed to discharge themselves when they moved away.

The air made the second wire. Birds would be zapped if they flew near.

MIRINGU

Joined Mar 18, 2007
Theoretically, its allright to hang from a wire but practically is not very safe. This is because you may be very close to ground or other wires and cause sparks and get shocked. If the distance between you and an object is little and the voltage is high then the breakdown voltage of the air (3000000 V/m) may be reached.
So one can hang on the line only if he/she is sure the ground clearance area(distance btw u and the line) is big enough.But am not saying i'll try.

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
In our regular safety meetings, we learn that most electricians die from falls. NIOSH statistics indicate 50% of falls from a height of 11 feet (335 cm) are fatal.

So, even if one is certain of not providing a path for conduction, one should avoid hanging from power lines!