Over unity

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by ronv, Feb 3, 2015.

1. ronv

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Nov 12, 2008
    :)

I was a little disappointed in the response to this thread and would like to not let the real objective go unrealized.
    http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/urgent-help-needed.106530/
    Here are the basics:
    The op has seen a device that lets people run higher power devices on a lower power generator ie: a 1,000 watt electric skillet on a 650 watt generator. Now I think almost all of us have seen an electric skillet. You set it at 350 and it turns on until it gets to 350 then turns off. Once at temperature it may turn on for 5 seconds and be off for 10 or 15. His problem is/was that when it turns on it kills the generator because it cant supply the 1000 watts.
    The circuit he posted, while not exact, looks like a triac dimmer. So if you think about it the voltage could easily be cut in half drawing only 500 watts from the generator, so it is happy. Now the skillet stays on for 10 seconds and off for 10 or 15. It may not be able to get to 550 anymore but it will still cook your eggs. :rolleyes:
    While it's true he thinks it boosts the power, it does not, but it does solve his problem.

2. tcmtech

Nov 4, 2013
    Similar thoughts on the device as well.

What I got from it was it was a simple power reducer or peak current limiter and nothing more which if working with purely resistive loads like that of a heating element in a cooker the concept would work very well and in fact appear to allowing a much higher wattage load run from a lower wattage source.

Personally I find the theory behind the device fully viable and well within the laws of physics.

3. cmartinez

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 17, 2007
    If what you're saying is true, then we completely misinterpreted his intention. BUT, the setup you're mentioning would probably be practical only for resistive loads... so say, running a refrigerator this way would be out of the question.

4. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    I thought the function/operation of the device was clear... Just not to the OP..
    And no one took the time to attempt to explain it in a clear "newbie like" manner that he needed.
    Then someone dropped the over-unity word and the lock followed swiftly.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    That's the crux of the biscuit. OP kept repeating that this is an over-unity device that clearly repeals Ohm's Law, and that convinced me not to try because he would never be satisfied with schematic and BOM that couldn't make 2500 watts out of 650 watts.

6. ronv

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Nov 12, 2008
    You guys are probably right. He probably never would have come around. Funny how when your mind is made up no one can change it with the facts. :rolleyes:

7. cmartinez

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 17, 2007
    It was me who dropped the O-word in this conversation... and I have to admit it was probably too soon. But #12 is right, he's the one who tried to break ohm's law in the first place, and he kept at it. This is not supposed to be a never-ending debate on politics or religion, but a conversation based on scientific facts, and when someone keeps on trying to ignore those facts (accumulated through centuries of knowledge and empirical evidence) it does raise some red flags... still, it makes me wonder if maybe at least I should've been more patient.

8. tcmtech

Nov 4, 2013
    I wouldn't worry about it too much. I also role that thought around in my head about the people I have shot for being stupid while I am reloading my gun. :oops:

Sure if I had shown more patience they would likely still be alive but then again there would be more stupid people roaming around. It's quite a conundrum some days. :rolleyes:

#12 likes this.
  9. cmartinez

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 17, 2007
    o_O Glad to hear you've been sleeping like a baby these days...

Sinus23 likes this.
  10. tcmtech

Nov 4, 2013
    Doing acts of public service for the betterment of the community always make me feel good! :D

11. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    Only because he didn't know any better.. In his mind it was over-unity.. He saw devices that "shouldn't" be working actually working. When you don't know any better one might believe that magic/Santa/Tooth Fairy exists..

Sometimes we all need a little more patience.

cmartinez likes this.
  12. cmartinez

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 17, 2007
    I'll remember that

13. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    I was also a little disappointed, because the kid seemed intelligent and was doing some fine research, but only needed some guidance concerning basic energy laws. He admitted to not having a formal education, but I thought he was doing some impressive work. Sadly, I wouldn't have had a solution anyway. He seems very determined, however, and I'll bet he finds another group that will better guide him. FWIW, I thought our group was showing good patience and didn't get belittle the guy as I've seen from these discussions in the past.

14. tom_s

Jun 27, 2014
    :)

15. tcmtech

Nov 4, 2013
    How's that OCD meds workin' out for ya? o_O

English class flunkie from grade school on up here. Be pleased that what I do write is as coherent as it is. If it gets by spell check it's good enough for me.:p

BTW this is what that sentence looks like before proof read.
    " engish class flunkieheer. be pleasde that whatIdo write is as cohernet as it is. If it getsbyspellcheck its good enough forme.
    Btew this is whst that sentence loosk lekie beofre proferead."

As you can see I have a bit of a sticky space key on top of things. :oops:

16. tom_s

Jun 27, 2014
    depends on time of day, no idea why the doc's got me taking them by the hour :)