Over Current Protection

nhuseynov

Joined Apr 28, 2014
I need to include overcurrent protection in my circuit. Previously, I used current sense amplifiers to achieve that, but the this application needs current sensing in the microamp region and most of ics I used before did not have a appropriate resolution. I need to limit the load to 150 microamps. I was thinking on using something like MAX4373 but its leakage current is too big. The Vrs+ in my case is 0.08-1.2V and I don't mind having bigger voltage drop at Rsense since the load is a thermistor.

Any suggestions?

nhuseynov

Joined Apr 28, 2014
The thermistor cannot handle more than 0.2 mA (200 micro) and this component cannot be changed.

Currently, I am using a psoc and its internal 8-bit current source which can be set to 100 micro. However, the firmware can be accessed by anyone so if someone makes changes by mistake, the element is no longer protected.

Hence, I needed a hardware solution (similar to View attachment 70446 ). I could not find something accurate enough for micro amp range.

nhuseynov

Joined Apr 28, 2014
Load is the thermistor. Reset is done with psoc. Basically, I need a way to protect the thermistor that can only handle 200 micro amps with hardware maybe similar to current sense amplifier solution as attached.

Another solution I was looking into is to insert a current regulative diode that works similar to clamping diodes by regulating the voltage drop.

Attachments

Last edited:

nhuseynov

Joined Apr 28, 2014
Yes, it is for temperature measurement.

As for the circuit:

I have a current source (inside the Cypress PSOC 5 LP chip) going to the thermistor (no part number). I am feeding the voltage drop across the thermistor to the ADC of the chip. That is it. The circuit I included is only an example of what I was thinking to do to protect the thermistor. The reason I needed a additional protection is that the firmware controlling the current source can be easily changed by mistake.