Output voltage of rectifiers

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by Derek Lim, Oct 13, 2015.

1. Derek Lim

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 13, 2015
    In class, my professor only went over half wave, full wave and full wave bridge rectifiers. Looking at problem #1 on the homework, I don't know how to calculate the output voltage. HW2a.jpg

2. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    You need to show some effort in order to get some help. We don't provide answers, but guidance.

3. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    Pick one of them and show your best attempt to analyze it. We can then help you through that one and, armed with the knowledge gained, you can then attempt another. Probably after just one or two rounds you will be able to solve the rest on your own.

4. Derek Lim

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 13, 2015
    So for #1, would it even be considered a full wave rectifier? If it is, then the output voltage would be 0.9*Vrms. But with the 0.7V drop per diode, I'm not sure how to account for that.

5. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    How are you coming up with 0.9*Vrms?

Sketch what you expect for the waveform.

6. ISB123

May 21, 2014
    You are going to struggle with other circuits if you can't figure what voltage at #1 is.

I'm just going to say that Jimi Hendrix would create his effects with very similar circuit.

7. Dodgydave

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 22, 2012
    Number 2 will probably start out at 5.6V for about a couple of seconds, then puff, the zener blows, and its 12V!!! 

8. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    Do not try to calculate the RMS value of the waveforms.
    Just trace what is happening during a single cycle of the waveform and note the voltages at the points in the cycle where the diodes conduct and where they don't.

As Dodgydave noted, several of the circuits would fail in practice, thus are bad examples.
    But I think your professor wants you to assume ideal components and ignore any possible failures.