output analog oscope to digital?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by pastinsain, Sep 1, 2012.

1. pastinsain

Thread Starter Member

Aug 25, 2012
    I just recently scored a tektronix 475a and got thinking is it possible to output the vertical signal "on the back of oscope" to a usb analog to digital oscope" like the new usb digital type oscilloscopes ? or any other way to connect the Tek 475a to a digital converter?

Can this be do done? The idea is to have both an analog image and a digital computer image.

thanks for opinion

2. vk6zgo

Jul 21, 2012
    The "vertical amp"output on the back of these & similar Oscilloscopes is one of the most useful extra features provided.
    You can use it to drive frequency counters,detectors,or any number of other devices,so I don't see why you can't use it to provide an input signal to a USB "scope".

Apart from having two displays,it means you can utilise the properly engineered circuitry of the 475a to provide protection to your USB device,& hence your computer.

You may be disappointed with the USB display when you can compare it directly with the analog one,but it obviously has the advantage that you can save waveforms directly,& do FFT measurements.

3. pastinsain

Thread Starter Member

Aug 25, 2012
    So you could directly plug the output into one of those usb type
    oscilloscopes? I agree that it would be nice to take the data
    and save it on your hard drive. Or to provide a computer image.
    Also the digital pc oscopes provide other data that would be useful.

I would think someone has already tried this. However, I have not come accross it. Even if you used an analog to digital converter and then
    use the data for a software driven oscope.

the marketing of such a device would be huge. extend and bridge analog oscilloscopes to digital with a magic black box.

Thats way over my head. But I would buy $$ such a device.

sorry for the late reply , I've been gone for a few days.

and thank you .

Last edited: Sep 2, 2012