out of their minds!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by strantor, Jul 18, 2011.

1. strantor

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    I have been going in Frys semi-regularly for the past couple of months and there's a book on the shelf that keeps catching my eye; How Electronic Things Work and What to do When They Don't. I have consulted it's pages a few times while working on my TV (I do this regularly, go to frys and mooch, use their display multimeters to measure caps back when I didn't have a good one; it's near my house) so I figured it might be useful to buy. It was obvious I wasn't the only onedoing this, as pages were well worn, paperback cover bent, corners messed up, looked like a used book. It is the same book there every time I go; only one copy, I know this because I note it's used appearance every time. The price on the shelf said 12.50$, and the MSRP on the back of the book was 24$; I assumed they had marked it down because it has been there for months, looks like crap, and they haven't sold it yet. I figured it was a good deal; I don't care about the appearance and it would be useful. Took it to the checkout and they guy rang it up at 32$. I pointed out the price on the shelf, the MSRP on the back, and the obvious battered appearance and he took it to a manager whom still insisted on 32$. I told them to go ahead and put it back on the shelf for me and I would be back periodically to read the pages I need.

2. praondevou

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 9, 2011
    LOL, funny people!!! If you REALLY want it, you can get it used from Amazon for $1,38+shipping, (in case you didn't noticed).;)

3. strantor

Oct 3, 2010
    Yeah I noticed. That's what I linked to. I might get it from amazon (after I go back to frys and preview every section for a couple of hours to make sure there's really a goldmine of info inside)

4. KJ6EAD

Apr 30, 2011
    Fry's has retarded buyers for components. They actually had acid core solder on the shelf for a while!

Sparky49 likes this.
  5. strantor

Oct 3, 2010
    Lol I thought the first scentence was directed towards me ... until I read the second scentence. Yeah frys' components section suffers from crippling retardation, but they huge selection of multimeters.

6. praondevou

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 9, 2011
    If you don't mind reading ebooks. A friend had it on his computer. I had to split it because it's bigger than 5Mb. Just merge it online.

magnet18, strantor and TBayBoy like this.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    I could get on a rant about this. Incompetent purchasers, managers, and employees making life difficult...soon to complain that they are unemloyed because I bought everything I could "online" for a lot less money and didn't have to argue with anybody to get the stuff I needed.

I like to go to brick and mortar stores. I learn a lot that a photo can't tell me. I see stuff I didn't know existed. Very educational. But I'm not going to pay Best Buy $44 for their cheapest mouse when every 12 year old knows where to get them for half that price.

8. TBayBoy

May 25, 2011
    I would love to go to a place like that, but I only live in a city with 120,000 people. :(

9. strantor

Oct 3, 2010
    SWEET! That's the one! thanks!

10. magnet18

Dec 22, 2010
    I live in a town of 2000.
    My options are the internet... or a poorly stocked radio shack half an hour away.

11. strantor

Oct 3, 2010
    man that sucks. I used to live in a little town, same story. Back then my hobbies were more mechanical and I had a hardware store & tractor supply store < 30 miles so I was good to go.

12. magnet18

Dec 22, 2010
    I don't mind, IMO cities have way too many people, and buildings should be wider than they are tall. Introverted country kid.

13. TBayBoy

May 25, 2011
    Same here, all internet, the local radio club starts up in the fall, so maybe I can get some better sources there.