OTA digital TV via Wi-fi

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Owie! The onD uses an HDMI cable. That won't fit my antique CRT tv. :(
Must have something that goes into an antenna hole or the (3) RCA connectors.

I'd say, "Got any suggestions?" but that would be hijacking the thread.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010

I have given up on my original question, so ask away.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Any way to get an onD to talk to an old TV?
It only has a hole for an antenna co-ax and a 3 wire set of RCA cables for inputs.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Makes sense to me. Bridging your 100yd gap limits the options. I haven't seen any commercial product claiming the range you need.

I don't know about the Roku. You don't need it for OTA content?

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Makes sense to me. Bridging your 100yd gap limits the options. I haven't seen any commercial product claiming the range you need.

I don't know about the Roku. You don't need it for OTA content?
The Roku receives wi-fi and outputs hdmi. There is a Roku app for SimpleTV. I also will need a hard drive to attach to the SimpleTV box for DVR use. At least, I think I understand it. Oh, and I think a high gain directional wi-fi antenna on one or both ends will overcome the 100 yards.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Yeah, and I can't think of an alternative to that, other than a hunk of cable. You know, laying cable isn't all that hard.
The best spot for the tower is on the other side of the road from the house. If I put the tower on the same side of the road as the house, I might could string the cable overhead. I would have to put it on the utility poles that are on my property. I would never get permission, but maybe I try it, and ask forgiveness if necessary. Something to think about on my upcoming road trip.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I've seen them drill holes under a road to lay cable without bothering the pavement. It's amazingly easy with the right equipment, but of course that is the crux.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012

There are cable-only solutions that don't work with a crap. The boxes are ok. This one has high ratings but $39....

http://www.amazon.com/enKo-products...411&sr=8-2&keywords=hdmi+adapter+to+composite

NOTE the review (They are not two-direction boxes - people want Composite to HDMI and the boxes look the same so order the correct one):

62 of 63 people found the following review helpful
BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN ORDERING !!
By Roy Van Brunt on April 29, 2014
Size Name: Input:HDMI; Output:AV + 6.5 ft HDMI Cable Verified Purchase
There are two "link" boxes on the page describing this product. One goes RCA Composite to HDMI, and the other is HDMI to composite/ They are different devices and are not (as one might suspect) interchangeable. Apparently I ordered the wrong one. So you MUST make sure the correct box is highlighted.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I've seen them drill holes under a road to lay cable without bothering the pavement. It's amazingly easy with the right equipment, but of course that is the crux.
I have seen holes under sidewalks done with water and a PVC pipe, but I don't have water at the location where I own both sides of the road.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008

Joined Nov 30, 2010
1) Thanks for taking an aside to help me.
2) Water tunneling a pipe in Tennessee can be impossible because the ground is described by the locals as a mix of red concrete and rocks. I hit a piece of flint with a pickaxe 20 years ago and I can still remember the sting!
3) The highest level of achievement I accomplished in antenna work included a log periodic antenna (to reject reflections from nearby mountains) on a rotor at 50 feet up, and a mast mounted amplifier. Whether that will drive a useful signal through 300 feet of coax? Well...it beats just attaching a cable to an antenna head.

ps, 50 feet up is pretty weak compared to the hills of Kentucky. A lot of places have that much altitude difference between the paved road and the front door.