OTA digital TV via Wi-fi

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I need to receive OTA digital TV signals, and then be able to receive HDTV wirelessly. I visualize an antenna, connected to a tuner located at the antenna site. The tuner output would be connected to wi-fi, and I would receive the signal via my Roku (or equivalent.) I would need to be able to remotely control the tuner in order to choose which OTA signal I wanted to watch.

It sounds plausible, but is it practical? How? What specific equipment? Have you done it?

Thanks.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I have a converter box that translates OTA signals for my 13 year old CRT TV. It sits on top of the TV and is operated by an IR remote control. You might find it difficult to buy such a box because the marketing desire is to sell you a new flat screen TV that can interpret digital signals and will fail in a few years.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I have a Android based Wi-Fi (or cat5) Internet TV box, Way more material than OTA.
Roku and WD-TV etc are limited as to what you can receive.
This is virtually wide open via XBMC etc.

And its FREE.
Max.

Last edited:

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I need to receive OTA digital TV signals, and then be able to receive HDTV wirelessly.
Why not put the antenna and tuner closer to the monitor? I also use the existing cable wiring in my house to re-route from my antenna to a TV in my living room that does not have its own antenna.

All I'm saying is, sending HDTV over RF would be my last choice, when nothing else is possible.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
The house is in the boonies. The antenna will be on a 80 - 100' tower about 100 yards from the house. I will be receiving a high bandwidth WISP signal, and rebroadcasting it via wi-fi to my house. If I can add OTA HDTV to streaming internet video, I can dump my satellite TV service provider.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
No, If you have internet you can receive TV channels from all over the world, including first run movies and all shows most in HD.
No Netflix etc charges.
Max.
I want to be able to receive local stations OTA, which are not really very local, hence the OTA antenna on a tall tower.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
This morning I am thinking that a PC with a tuner card and a wireless router might be the least expensive solution. What says the braintrust?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
This morning I am thinking that a PC with a tuner card and a wireless router might be the least expensive solution. What says the braintrust?
Should work but would be larger and require significantly more power.
Would require intervention in case of a power loss.
There's also the problem of remotely operating the tuner.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
No, If you have internet you can receive TV channels from all over the world, including first run movies and all shows most in HD.
No Netflix etc charges.
Max.
Through what service?.. just curios.. netflix/hulu,etc.. all charge something.

My bro has been using the Chrome Cast dongle and seems happy with it.. But he pays for Hulu..

MikeA

Joined Jan 20, 2013
Tuner output will need to be encoded/compressed into a network stream. You can't compress HD on the fly without a lot of processing power.

There are HDMI extenders over CAT cable. Way cheaper (both purchase price and energy) and more reliable than wireless.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Through what service?.. just curios.. netflix/hulu,etc.. all charge something.

Most of the services are accessed through XBMC, now Kodi, http://kodi.tv/about/ several sources come loaded with this unit, you can also add your own, all free, the only cost is your internet provider.
All the latest TV shows, Movies and TV stations from all over the world.
Last night I watched The Imitation Game which just recently released.
Also if you wish you can check your email and surf the internet, anything an Android pad can do.
Max.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Most of the services are accessed through XBMC, now Kodi, http://kodi.tv/about/ several sources come loaded with this unit, you can also add your own, all free, the only cost is your internet provider.
All the latest TV shows, Movies and TV stations from all over the world.
Last night I watched The Imitation Game which just recently released.
Also if you wish you can check your email and surf the internet, anything an Android pad can do.
Max.
Looked on their site quickly and didn't see it but.. For example.
Can I watch the shows that were on primetime TV (ABC/CBS/NBC/FOX in the US ) from last night? Or is there a waiting period? or something..

From what I've found of anything "free" there is always a catch..
So yes what services are you using to access the shows/tv,etc... I bet they aren't free :) and if they are they aren't "new" by any means..

Edit..
Explain this.. So where is your content coming from.. I've used XBMC in the past (a few years ago) but all the content like TV shows cost money..
Disclaimer: Kodi does not provide any media itself. Users must provide their own content or manually point Kodi to third party online services. The Kodi project does not provide any support for bootleg video content.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
TV shows can usually be seen a day or so later, there is also a certain amount of live TV both US - CNN, CBS, PBS etc & half a dozen British channels.
Mostly through FTV.
Just one app may produce 20+ sources of just one movie or show, both in HD & SD.
The whole selling point of the unit is it is free media.
There are many Utube etc videos of using the available media apps via Kodi/XBMC.
Often sports live feeds etc.
Max.