Ossilators and signal generators

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Tenor Fax, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Tenor Fax

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 2, 2013
    Hi, I'm a hobbyist musician with pretty much no electrical knowledge. I want to buy a used Ossilator or something similar just to add weird electronic noises to a piece of music. What is the difference between an oscillator and a signal generator? How can I tell if a device is set up to create audio? Some devices I've seen online have RF outputs, can you take audio from an RF output?
    Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

2. bance

Aug 11, 2012
  3. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    All signal generators contain an oscillator of some type. The difference is the SigGen will have a buffered output to present a low resistance at the output terminal, typically 50 ohms. It can also have facilities to adjest output voltage, frequency, etc.

Look for an audio signal generator. Any signal generator who's frequency is between 20hz and 20khz will work for audio.

No. RF signal generators are not useful for audio.

You're welcome!

4. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    This May be what you are seeking "Music from Outer Space" has a few oscillators, noise generators, and envelope control.

It's a DIY portable version of the old Analog synthesizers (Moog used by ELP [Emerson, Lake, and Palmer] in the 1970s, for example).

5. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008