O'scope Recommendations

nosaM

Joined Apr 17, 2008
Hello to all from a new member. I tried searching the forums but couldn't find what I'm looking for so I thought I'd start a new thread.

Could someone please recommend an oscilloscope that is suitable to troubleshoot problems with industrial automation? The particular machines would have the following systems, among others:

DeviceNet
Motion Control
Ethernet Interface Modules
MELSECNET/H
Intelligent Communication Modules

Please include specs such as bandwidth, sampling rate, rise time, etc. Lastly, a good place to buy. All responses are much appreciated.

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
Hello to all from a new member. I tried searching the forums but couldn't find what I'm looking for so I thought I'd start a new thread.

Could someone please recommend an oscilloscope that is suitable to troubleshoot problems with industrial automation? The particular machines would have the following systems, among others:

DeviceNet
Motion Control
Ethernet Interface Modules
MELSECNET/H
Intelligent Communication Modules

Please include specs such as bandwidth, sampling rate, rise time, etc. Lastly, a good place to buy. All responses are much appreciated.
go to www.google.com and search for oscilloscopes so simple!!! you will get thousands of them. I use an oscilloscope of Agilent at university and it seems good, if you want check them. It accepts signals up to 100MHz

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
I think it's more appropriate for you to post your requirements as to the instrument's specs. You may well know more about the stuff it's going to look at, and so can give us minimum bandwidth and so on much more easily.

mrmeval

Joined Jun 30, 2006
Minimum 200mhz two channel if you're opening the units. If not you can get by with 60mhz 2 channel. I'd stick with known good brands such as Tektronics, Agilent, Fluke, Leader and others. If at all possible get a salesman out there with a demo, have some test setups ready so you can see if it works for your application.

Avoid B&K 'precision' to the point of beating it over the head of someone giving it to you. I despise those crooked *holes. We should have sued the vendor and them.

DC_Kid

Joined Feb 25, 2008
OWON makes fairly good portable lcd digital storage scopes. thats what i have. and of course, Agilent Tektronix Fluke, etc, all make really good stuff with a price that reflects such.

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
If your Ethernet Interface Modules are Cat6, a 200 MHz scope won't be quite good enough. For Cat7, you'll want a 5 GHz scope. I hope you are on good terms with your budgeting person.

For Cat5e, a 200 MHz scope will suffice.

nosaM

Joined Apr 17, 2008
Thank you mrmeval and thingmaker3. You just saved me a lot of work sorting through the myriad of units out there. Our ethernet interface uses CAT5e; so I was thinking 200MHz minimum and you just confirmed my estimation. I certainly didn’t want to get one that does not have the bandwidth I need nor did I want one with bandwidth I’ll never use. Though I have my own budget I still have to justify it to my boss. :(

Thanks to all that responded. Cheers!