Osciloscope with video output?

skillbard

Joined Jul 10, 2013
Hi Everyone,

Does anybody happen to know of a (preferably not digital) oscilloscope that has a video output of any kind. C-video, I guess but anything'll be great.

I've tried searching but the terms aren't very Google-friendly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm working to a deadline!

Thanks.

Stuntman

Joined Mar 28, 2011
One option may be a computer scope, then use the video out on your graphics card.

FYI, In case it coincides with your needs, many (most?) DSO's will allow you to save a screenshot to a USB flash drive.

skillbard

Joined Jul 10, 2013
Wow what a quick and ample response. Great forum! Thanks everyone.

Ah that's a shame, though I knew it was far-fetched.

What I'm working on is a kind of art project. I'm feeding weird sounds to my oscilloscope to make nice lissajous patterns for live performances. You can do some really whacky stuff with those guys!

Since I'll be playing in clubs and festivals I was hoping to avoid having to place a camera in front of the oscilloscope screen, for multiple obvious reasons.

I guess I could check out a digital one.

Then… could anyone recommend a digital scope with video out that looks like an analogue one?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Take the X and Y signals going to the scope and drive two lasers for a laser show.
Much more spectacular.

Or you can digitize the X and Y signals and do whatever you wish. The sky's the limit.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
I think that just one laser, tilted in X and Y directions by for example two voice coils from speakers and an audio amp will be pretty easy to make and very spectacular, like MrChips already said.

skillbard

Joined Jul 10, 2013
I'm a total novice with this kind of thing so, although I think I understand what you're saying, I have no idea how to calculate these things.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
You have two waveforms, one each feeding into X and Y of the scope or laser.
Determine the frequency of each waveform.
Determine how many cycles of each waveform you wish drawn on the screen.
Calculate the total time to draw n lines of that many cycles. Take the longer of the two (X and Y).
Is this time shorter than 25ms?
If not adjust your parameters to make the total time shorter than 25ms otherwise your image will start to flicker.