Osciloscope with video output?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by skillbard, Jul 10, 2013.

1. skillbard

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 10, 2013
    Hi Everyone,

Does anybody happen to know of a (preferably not digital) oscilloscope that has a video output of any kind. C-video, I guess but anything'll be great.

I've tried searching but the terms aren't very Google-friendly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm working to a deadline!

Thanks.

2. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    No such thing.

3. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    There are some digital oscilloscopes available with video output.

What are you intending to do with this output?

4. Stuntman

Mar 28, 2011
    One option may be a computer scope, then use the video out on your graphics card.

FYI, In case it coincides with your needs, many (most?) DSO's will allow you to save a screenshot to a USB flash drive.

5. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    There are several digital oscilloscopes with a VGA output; I've never heard of an analog one with a video output.

6. atferrari

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    My Owon DS7102V has VGA output denoted by the "V"

7. skillbard

Jul 10, 2013
    Wow what a quick and ample response. Great forum! Thanks everyone.

Ah that's a shame, though I knew it was far-fetched.

What I'm working on is a kind of art project. I'm feeding weird sounds to my oscilloscope to make nice lissajous patterns for live performances. You can do some really whacky stuff with those guys!

Since I'll be playing in clubs and festivals I was hoping to avoid having to place a camera in front of the oscilloscope screen, for multiple obvious reasons.

I guess I could check out a digital one.

Then… could anyone recommend a digital scope with video out that looks like an analogue one?

8. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Take the X and Y signals going to the scope and drive two lasers for a laser show.
    Much more spectacular.

Or you can digitize the X and Y signals and do whatever you wish. The sky's the limit.

9. kubeek

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 20, 2005
    I think that just one laser, tilted in X and Y directions by for example two voice coils from speakers and an audio amp will be pretty easy to make and very spectacular, like MrChips already said.

10. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Sorry, you're correct - one laser and two direction modulators.

11. skillbard

Jul 10, 2013
    Thanks for the advice. We actually considered using a laser but decided to stick with oscilloscope for the purposes of this show. Fits with the concept.

Plus can a laser move that quickly?
    To achieve something like this: http://www.boostworthy.com/blog_articles/lissajous2.jpg

12. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    That is a bit extreme. You need to determine how many lines are drawn and can they be drawn within 25ms.

13. skillbard

Jul 10, 2013
    I'm a total novice with this kind of thing so, although I think I understand what you're saying, I have no idea how to calculate these things.

14. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    You have two waveforms, one each feeding into X and Y of the scope or laser.
    Determine the frequency of each waveform.
    Determine how many cycles of each waveform you wish drawn on the screen.
    Calculate the total time to draw n lines of that many cycles. Take the longer of the two (X and Y).
    Is this time shorter than 25ms?
    If not adjust your parameters to make the total time shorter than 25ms otherwise your image will start to flicker.

15. kubeek

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 20, 2005
    Also you don´t need to move a big heavy laser, you can tilt a small mirror which will be much lighter.

16. skillbard

Jul 10, 2013
    Hm.. Seems doable. Thanks MrChips, I'll bear this in mind. Maybe I'll switch to lasers in the future. :)

17. skillbard

Jul 10, 2013
    Thanks for the tip Kubeek!