Oscilloscopes

jjimenez01

Joined Dec 8, 2006
Hello everyone,

I am currently shopping for an oscilloscope to have in my house for some projects that I will be working on. I am used to using the very expensive ones in my university and at work, in the range of thousands of dollars. I want one in the range of $200 - $300. Are these scopes at that price range worth buying for small projects? Also, what are some of the characteristics that I should be looking for in these scopes. For example I see some that are 30MHZ or 50MHZ, are these the highest frequencies that the scope can capture?

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Hi,

What kind of small projects? Even small stuff using logic is going to be more than a limited-bandwidth o'scope can display. Many years ago, we had a disk file that ueed ECL logic. All we had was a vacuum tube o'scope. We couldn't see any of the logic signals - just a flat trace. We had to get a Tek 465 (top of the line in '71) before we could see pulses.

To go at it another way, a 50 MHz bandwidth will limit you to seeing pulses no narrower than 20 ps. 30 MHz to 33 ps. Both are fine for audio and tv work, though.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Hi,

You can find reconditioned test equipment, which might help to strech you bucks. If you're going to use them, you can never spend too much on good tools.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Hello everyone,

I am currently shopping for an oscilloscope to have in my house for some projects that I will be working on. I am used to using the very expensive ones in my university and at work, in the range of thousands of dollars. I want one in the range of $200 - $300. Are these scopes at that price range worth buying for small projects? Also, what are some of the characteristics that I should be looking for in these scopes. For example I see some that are 30MHZ or 50MHZ, are these the highest frequencies that the scope can capture?
Can I suggest you approach your local university to see if they have any lab equipment that may be coming to the end of its scheduled life. Universities tend to (at least in the UK) to replace equipment at a reasonably regular rate therefore you can be assured that any equipment you come across will be suitable for many modern applications, such as the ones you describe above.

Just an idea.

Dave