oscilloscope

dukeman

Joined Feb 7, 2009
Hi,
I have two questions:
1. I just bought an old analog scope. Do you know any electronic projects out there that teach how to test scopes?
2. Can you also please tell me some reliable online electronic parts places?

Thanks,
Dukeman

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
A good test for the oscilloscope AND your probes is the Calibrator thingamajigger. Attach your probe to that and see that you've got a really CLEAN square wave. The vertical amplitude should match what your gain controls say. The frequency should be really close to 1KHz as well, so you can test your time base.

If it's a dual trace scope, but the two inputs in a DIFFERENTIAL mode..this is by putting the trace in the ADD mode and polarity reverse in one channel (most scopes let you do this on the B channel. Connect both probes to the calibrator test point and see that you have a straight line....if you do, your amps are well matched.

If you have two sine wave generators, put one in the X channel and one in the Y and play with Lissajous patterns. You should be able to get a nice clean circle with 90 degree phase shift and a clean diagonal line with 0 phase shift.

If there is a Z axis input, you might want to see if that works too. If you're really a mad scientist, you can put video in there, horizontal sync into the X channel, vertical sync in the Y channel, and make a TV set out of the thing.

(Yes, even electronics techs have slow days!)

eric