Oscilloscope to buy

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Kenny, Oct 16, 2009.

1. Kenny

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Oct 11, 2004

May 26, 2009
    You tell me! ;) What kind of frequencies will you be monitoring? Are you sure you want digital or analog? What made you choose this scope? Are you a beginner in electronics or do you have a applicable background?
  3. bill l

Oct 11, 2009
    i can't really advise you about scopes based on the limited amount of info you have provided in regards to what you will be using the scope for, but, i will add my perspective.

i currently have a tek 2246a, 4ch, 100mhz and a tek type 422, 15mhz, 2 channel.

for what i work on, audio amps mostly, these are perfect for that.

but moving on, i can't provide you with links as i am on dial up, but i seem to recall a youtube review i think on that scope you linked to and it looks pretty nice.

if you are looking for cheaper, craigslist is one source.

i got my 2246a for 90 bucks off there. 4 10x probes, user manual, perfect shape. needless to say, i am a pretty happy camper about it.

keep checking in as i am sure that more will post, but please provide more info about what you are going to use the scope for. you could possibly save a bit of money not buying something you won't use.

4. The Electrician

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 9, 2007
    I think the Rigol scopes are better. Higher sample rate and much more trace memory at all but the highest sweep speeds.

The 100 MHz version is about $700:

and the 50 MHz version is about $400:

Free shipping from Hong-Kong. Some dealers offer a 3 year warranty; you could check with these guys.

I've seen very good reports about these scopes.
  5. Kenny

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Oct 11, 2004
    I have a basic to intermediate knowledge of electronics, knowing a bit of all with many holes.
    I want to learn to design circuits ranging analog, digital, microcontrollers, etc.

I'm studying the theory of Art of Electronics book and student manual, and I want to try the experiments with oscilloscope and function generator that are named.

Then, what I want is to buy an oscilloscope and a function generator with U$1000 budget, that allow me to know (and see) the real world of electronics (the signals).

At first I'll be studying transistors, amplifiers, op-amps. But at the same time I want to be able to hook digital (combinational and sequential circuits), video (console videogame outputs), audio circuits, etc.