Oscilloscope Probe Frequency

Discussion in 'Electronics Resources' started by waasil, Nov 24, 2013.

1. waasil

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 15, 2012
    Dears,

I have a 50 MHZ oscilloscope, what is the right and suitable Probe Frequency to buy?

Thanks in advance.

2. MikeML

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 2, 2009
    At least 50MHz

3. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    At least high enough for the measurements you will be making, but no point in going higher than 50MHz. If you want to be able to make measurements over the full bandwidth of the scope, then get probes that are at least 50MHz, but don't pay more for higher than that unless you intend on getting a higher bandwidth scope that you can use them with.

It is also very important that whatever probe you get has a compensation range that includes your scope's input capacitance.

4. waasil

Jan 15, 2012
    Thanks dears for your reply and for the valuable information which you gave me.

The probes price in the Ebay are almost the same for 60MHZ or 100MHZ.

Should I buy the 60MHZ or the 100MHZ ?

Thanks again in advance for your advice.

5. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    If the prices were essentially the same, I would probably get the 100MHz probes. But it could probably be argued that, from a noise standpoint, the 60MHz probes would be the better choice for a 50MHz scope.

waasil likes this.
  6. waasil

Jan 15, 2012
    Thank you WBahn for your reply and clarification.

7. w2aew

Jan 3, 2012
    The probes are passive, so they don't "add" noise to the input. The 100MHz probes may have slightly lower probe tip capacitance which will load your circuit less. Make sure that the compensation adjustment on the probe will cover the input capacitance of your scope.