Oscilloscope Loading

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by Biomed27, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Biomed27

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 30, 2015
    The vertical amplifier of most oscilloscopes typically has an input resistance of 1MOhm and a calibration accuracy of 3% of full screen deflection. You want to use a scope to measure voltages in a variety of circuits yet limit loading by the scope to 3%. What is the highest output resistance of the circuits that you wish to measure that will remain within this load limit?

I originally thought I could solve the problem by setting up a voltage divider solving for R1 and R2 for example. Upon writing some equations down I ended up with an R^2 term thus a nonlinear relationship and I decided I am making things too complicated. Maybe I don't fully understand the question.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    Yes it's a simple voltage divider problem, so you determine what resistance in series with the 1 Mohm input will reduce the voltage by 3%.
    Of course, worst-case, that can give an overall error in the measurement of 6%. Personally I would want to limit the loading error to less than 1% to maximize the overall accuracy.

3. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Work backwards. You want to limit the error to 3%.

What value of R can you put in parallel with 1MΩ that will result in an equivalent resistance of 0.97R?

4. Biomed27

Jan 30, 2015
    I calculated about 32MOhm . . . But that doesn't seem right? If I set the parallel combination of 1MOhm and R equal to 0.97x1MOhm, thats the result I get for R . . .

5. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Try again. You made a mistake somewhere.
    Think about it.

1MΩ in parallel with 1MΩ would be 500KΩ.

1MΩ in parallel with 10kΩ would be close to 10kΩ to within 1%.

6. Biomed27

Jan 30, 2015
    Ok, I think I was misinterpretting the problem. Instead of setting the parallel combo equal to 970k I wanted to set it to 3% of 1MOhm = 30K, in this case using the 1Mohm value given and the calculating the value of the circuit resistance I end up with about 30kOhm, which makes much more sense because in that case the circuit resistance is much less than the oscilloscope therefore the oscilloscope will have a small loading effect.

Thank you!

7. Biomed27

Jan 30, 2015
    Or more precisely, no greater than 30.9kOhm . . .

8. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    You got it!

Now you can see how you can estimate this in your head.

10kΩ would be accurate to 1% with a 1MΩ scope probe.
    20kΩ would be accurate to about 2%.
    30kΩ would be accurate to about 3%.

Note that is approximate. It goes out of kilter as you go higher.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015